Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:21 pm by Non-Player Character

» Destiny, fate, or chance? (Open)
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 am by Adyna

The New Lieutenant (Open)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The New Lieutenant (Open)

Post by Hanzō Judai on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 am

Hanzo shifted his shoulders, looking at himself in the mirror. He'd gained quite a bit of muscle these last few months, and any softness in his face and body was gone, leaving chiseled muscle behind. His white hair had gotten longer hanging to his shoulders and his big round ears stuck up and twitched as he listened to the sounds of his apartment building. Biting his lip in thought, the Shapeshifter discarded his usual blue pants and reddish-orange shirt, donning his work uniform. At his hip, he tied his beautiful Asauchi, the blade and scabbard both polished to nearly mirror brilliance. Then, before he went out the door, he pulled the black and gold ceramic helmet over his head.

As Hanzo made his way through Seireitei to the Second Division, he elected not to use Shunpo. Instead, he walked slowly, feeling an odd mixture of pleasure and nervousness. He had officially submitted his acceptance of the second seat to his Captain earlier that week, claiming he finally felt powerful enough to have earned the position so graciously offered. A few months under the Kenpachi's watchful eye had made him stronger, better, faster than ever before. He lamented as he walked, however, that he had neglected any usage of Kido, but rationalized that the Kenpachi was the last person to ask for such lessons. But she had helped immensely with his performance of the sword and actual combat, and for that he was grateful. 

He also felt really confident for the first time in ages. He looked and felt good and he knew his Asauchi was more beautiful than most Zanpakuto. But the constant nagging voice in his mind called depression and anxiety reminded him that he was the only member of the seated class without a Shikai. And to that voice, he argued that he could fight on par with those others, even without his Shikai release! And nowhere did it claim you needed a Shikai to be a seated officer!

As Hanzo rambled through these types of thoughts on his way to the second Division to meet with his Captain to receive his badge and new position officially, he began humming a tune, singing it half-aloud. "All the problems/ make me wanna go/ like a bad girl/ straight to video/ little Devi/ welcome to the show/ you're a failure/ playing in stereo~" And as he walked, he didn't even notice the blip in his speech.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

Species : Shapeshifter
Race : Shinigami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The New Lieutenant (Open)

Post by Shiroki on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:04 am

They would not come. The words simply would not come.

Multiple scenarios occurred and were dismissed offhand as quickly as they had arisen: Too trite. Too melodramatic. Not dramatic enough. Too casual.

It was enough to make one wish they could simply destroy everything as a convenient excuse to get out of this mess. But no, that was the sword talking. What was it the instructors always used to say? Never get confused between the weapon and the wielder, the differences between them like those of a king and his horse?

You never let me do anything-- A sudden sharp surge from Inukaze, the mental equivalent of a pout. In theory it should've been easy to ignore, if things got easier with long practice.

In theory.

He returned his attention to the singular plaque currently resting innocently upon the table, the unlikely source of consternation and indecision. Nor did he need to actually stare at it to know what it looked like, that wooden shingle's appearance and texture already long seared into memory. As it would've been for any one of its previous owners to have worn it. The crude motif of a Hell Butterfly reared outspread wings right where it had been stenciled over the bold horizontal lines representing the number of their division. At least, it looked like a butterfly from one point of view. Tilt your head in the other direction slightly, sort of squint, and then the image shifted abruptly--until it no longer resembled a flying insect but rather something more like a combination of kabuki and domino mask; with those spots on the wings representing sinister eyes.

"Why a butterfly?" he had remembered asking (and annoying the hell out of) people during the early days of initiation. Nobody had known, or cared to find out apparently. There had been several conflicting answers. Some thought it was because 2nd was also in charge of the messenger/scouting unit--which made little sense because that unit had nothing to do with hell butterflies. Others thought it was supposed to be a moth, one of those breeds with poisonous dust or some such imagery. Most didn't particularly care what their division logo was or the origins behind it, as long as it didn't interfere with the day-to-day business of stabbing first and asking questions later. Many times the answer had been some variant of 'Go ask Sev and quit bothering me' which was Second Squad slang for 'go run home and see if I'm there'. Like the logo itself, whoever 'Sev' was had been forgotten in the memory of most and was only intended as a snipe hunt for oblivious recruits with more enthusiasm than sense.

In those days, Shiroki hadn't been overly blessed with sense. But damn if he wasn't determined. Persistence had located the one known as 'Sev' eventually, in the pursuit to know the reason behind their logo. And the outcome, as always, proved suitably anticlimatic.

"It--" explained the sage, "Is whatever you see it to be."

Some saw it as a mask, to signify the importance of their deeds being hidden and secret. Some saw it as a butterfly, a winged outcast who straddled both a world of flyers and a world of crawlers--adequately suiting the assassin who was part of society and yet apart from it. At its core origin it was intended to be both: to emphasize how the assassin needed to be overlooked and underestimated by people (hence the weak butterfly symbolism) in order to ply his trade. This latter interpretation had been the one Shiroki had taken entirely to heart in shaping his own philosophy: be overlooked, a fly on the wall. Below notice...until such time Inukaze could feast upon her prey.

It served as guiding principle thus far, and remained the reason why he had gone to the trouble of setting up such a complex masquerade in his new appointment as Captain. Few as yet were privy to the information that he and Alfred were one and the same. He had done much to keep it that way, taking pains to be seen together with the decoy and speaking on its behalf so others would assume they were two separate people. Being able to function to some degree on its own also meant he could leave Alfred in the office to 'brood imposingly' while he settled stuff outside. So far it had seemed to work--assuming the lack of blackmail letters or gossip to be any indication

All that could have to change though, with a Lieutenant in the picture.

Captains rarely kept such secrets from Vice-Captains, especially since both were supposed to work as a team in support of each other. Not having this potentially relevant bit of information would probably inconvenience Hanzo if a situation arose in the field and the chain-of-command came into question. Furthermore, keeping things secret for longer than necessary threatened to weaken whatever bonds of trust existed between the parties involved. Something like that could lead to plenty of hurt feelings and resentment.

On the other hand however, Hanzo's current relationship to 11th's Kenpachi created a current climate wherein he didn't quite dare let such information slip. Not because he suspected the new Lieutenant to be untrustworthy, you understand--simply because he would be so frequently close to the suspect; and with Hanzo's own unsuspecting nature...

Ah, screw it. No use lying to yourself. You DO suspect him. Of being an unwitting pawn against you, if nothing else. Just like you suspect everyone of being the same.

No. The secret had to keep. They had gone to too much trouble to gamble this on something as inconstant as trust. Things had to continue as they were, for Hanzo's own safety

Hah.

--and what he didn't know couldn't be used against him by questionable squad captains.

Restricted is the warrior who relies solely upon their own power; lamentable their fate. It is only through cooperation that the impossible is achieved, and chaos where opportunity is born

Oh gods, Ma'kine--not YOU too...

Even Alfred seemed to be regarding him disapprovingly as the construct took up its accustomed place behind the table, face expressionless as it cast the captain's coat over its shoulders. It didn't attempt to stop the kid from taking his usual position on said shoulder, but neither did it lower its arm or assist in the attempt.

Which was...pretty unusual. And it seemed to be ignoring him. Almost as though--was Alfred giving them the silent treatment? Could artificial gigai machines even sulk? Because it certainly seemed that this one was sulking. Right now.

Yet another issue to be dealt with. He did not have time for this.

The rattle at their office door indicated that a visitor was about to arrive.

Shiroki
Admin

Species : Werewolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:21 am

Hanzo stood outside the office door, running his hands down the front of his uniform. It was fine, he told himself. It was natural, right, to be promoted? He'd worked hard, trained and been in more combat than most others in Second. True, he'd lost all those fights... And there was that one time he sprained his wrist when practicing against Kenpachi Algaliarept. And there was that time she'd tripped and Hanzo'd pulled his arm almost out of place when he tried grabbing her hand... Nope! This was a mistake! There was definitely someone more qualified for this position!

"You're just overthinking; its the low self-esteem talking," the little voice in his head told him. Just the nerves from talking to the boss. Absolutely nothing to worry about, he told himself. It's just the Captain, you'll exchange a few words, get a badge and be on your way. "It's not like it'll be your job to talk to the Captain every single day, to always be at his side or anything." Hanzo stifled a laugh; he was so nervous now even the voice in his head was sounding girly. He took his hand off his Asauchi hilt and opened the office door.

Stepping in, he was relieved to see Shiro, his friend who'd introduced him into the Second. Weird to think he now would outrank Shiro. He stood at attention, having bowed to Captain Alfred when he entered.

"Thank you, so much, for your patience Captain Otchi. I apologize for taking so long to accept the position, but I had wanted to be sure I had earned my place here, among the Second Devi. I'm truly honored, however, that you're still willing to offer me the position as your Lieutenant."
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am

Well, clearly he wasn't the only nervous person in the room.

This realization made him feel much better.

"Vice-Captain Judai!" Pushing off from the gigai's shoulder, he affected a pouncing leap that ended with both paws latched snugly around the new second-seat's neck. "Thank Kami you're here to save me from the Cap'n talking my ears off!"

Cue silence and scraping cicada wings. If anything, the look on Alfred's non-face only became more disapproving. Seemed like everyone these days was a critic.

One good thing about this new position was that it placed him at the right height to reach Hanzo's shihakusho sleeve: a definite requirement for the finicky business of setting the Lieutenant's insignia in place. In the Second, it was customary for previous rank-holders to ceremonially confer their badges of office to their successors...a practice that some had more trouble with than most.

On hindsight, it was lucky that this was usually a private ceremony. The sight of an ex-Lieutenant having to cling like a monkey to assist the immediate successor with his badge wasn't exactly dignified by any scope of the word. Oh well. Darned thing was on, and that was the important thing.

Now for the tricky part. It would've looked pretty suspicious to be the only one speaking for this entire encounter. Like it or not, Alfred was going to have to pitch in. And that of course, meant Tenteikuura. Shiro tugged at his own shihakusho sleeves, hoping they hid the pre-inked markings from view. This was the pre-arranged signal for Alfred to do his thing.

C'mon you big scarecrow. Stand up, stand up, stand up...

After what seemed like an eternity, the hooded gigai at last reacted as intended, gliding soundlessly over to their location. With both arms tucked away in voluminous sleeves, it sketched a polite bow.

"You honor us with your acceptance of this post, Lieutenant Judai," privately transmitted via Tenteikuura, the Captain's voice as usual would take on whatever quality the intended audience expected it to have. "It is a relief to have it in capable hands."

Shiro made good use of the intended pause in conversation to stick out a tongue at Alfred; who pointedly ignored him.

"I don't have to remind you that we do things differently in Second compared to other Squads. Unlike our..." a measured pause, "colleagues; you'll find things a bit less...open here. It is the Captain's prerogative to conceal secrets; even from the Lieutenant, should it be considered necessary. Naturally, to be fair the reverse also applies: As Lieutenant, you are free to omit any information you feel is not directly relevant to the execution of your duties. We in the Second respect each other's privacy, insofar as they remain able to maintain it,"

Translation: I won't be telling you everything, you're free to do the same, and we both understand we're going to be actively trying to learn each other's secrets since there's no rule against curiosity. After all, if a secret was truly worth keeping then one should at least put effort into hiding it, right?

"And as for those duties in question; as Lieutenant you are hereby in charge of the Patrol Corps, as well as in assisting as liaison to the Upper Seats. This comprises the Detention Unit, Execution Branch, Executive Militia and Minazukin. Given the weight of these responsibilities, Shiro will remain as head of Retrieval so there's one less thing to worry about,"

"Are the terms acceptable?"
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Hanzo nodded, placing his hand on the hilt of his Asauchi. With the badge on his shoulder, he was officially the Second Seat, the Vice Captain. Lieutenant. It was a big responsibility. One he alone would bear. Without a Zanpakuto... "You're being ridiculous," the voice in his head reminded him.

Hanzo looked down before staring at the Captain's face. "Sir... I'll do the best I can. But are you sure the others will follow my orders? I'm one of the newest members and made incredible progress through the ranks. There's bound to be discontent, especially if I don't have a true Zanpakuto yet."

Hanzo gripped the jeweled handle of his sword firmly. He recalled saying yes to Shiro over lunch, how confident he'd been. How, during their conversation, he confessed to Shiro that he'd been privately calling his Asauchi "Devu~aobuzanaitou~otchi" based on a girl he'd met in a dream. He remembered how embarrassed he'd been to admit that he was so nervous about his lack of a Zanpakuto that he'd started pretending his Asauchi was one. In private, of course. He wondered what his Zanpakuto would be like. The girl from the dream had been rather... demanding. He hoped his Zanpakuto was as laid back he wanted to be.

"If you have any advice, I would be most thankful to hear it."
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 am

Back at his customary place on Alfred's shoulder, the hooded figure and his mouthpiece traded a look as though they were holding a silent conversation.

"Cap'n says he's not really sure whatcha mean, Lieutenant Judai," Shiro 'translated', tilting his head to one side in a strangely animalistic manner. "He says he can see your zanpakuto plain as day. Not asauchi, mind you. Zanpakuto. An' he says anyone with two brain cells to rub t'gether should be able to as wel--" They exchanged another glance. "Well, that's not exactly what he said, but it's close enough,"

Not that they expected Hanzo to take their word for it at face value of course. Shiro hadn't exactly been planning such an encounter, but a Vice-Captain surely deserved some measure of trust. With an imperceptible sign he had Alfred draw his sizeable claymore from its sheath-harness on the gigai's back and toss it atop the table.

"That, Lieutenant Judai," the jackal commented, pointing a paw at the inert sword, "Is an asauchi. Yes: shocker, I know. Stupid cleaver's NOT the Cap'n's real zanpakuto. This is one of them secrets the Cap'n was talking about earlier. People can't tell the difference if he's carrying it with him all the time though, because his own reiatsu gets in the way. But now that he doesn't have it on him anymore, you can tell the difference, can't you? Look--here's mine as well for comparison," unsheathing Inukaze, Shiroki set it down on a nearby cabinet far enough from the claymore so as to not interrupt its radius. "Look at your sword--Devu; wasn't it? Now look at mine an' the Cap'n's. I'm sure you can feel it. Your reiatsu-sense's much better than y'think,"

And here was the moment of truth. If Hanzo did indeed open up his senses, there might even be a chance he would discover the truth behind Shiro and Alfred. Was that his true intention all along in staging this? He wasn't sure. All he knew was that there would be a chance, and not even an unlikely one--as he currently wasn't putting his full effort into maintaining the gigai's reiatsu shield. If Hanzo saw it, then that was that and he would come clean with the truth. But not till then.

Because this was the Second Division, dammit. Not hug-your-colleague-and-sing-kumbaya Squad 4. Here, you actually had to put some effort into finding stuff out. Not have other people's secrets handed over to you on a silver platter.

"And as for advice, why does it matter what people think?" They're not Cap'n, are they? If one day they actually luck into getting that white blankie, then maybe their opinions would be worth lis'ning to. But not till then,"retrieving his tonfa, he returned it to her place at his side. "Don't take any cheek from 'em Lieutenant. Do like I do--did--whatever. Kick their butts if you hafta,"
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Hanzo looked at the claymore, then the slim weapon near it. He reached out with the other sense, that ability to perceive the supernatural, and felt... An oddness. The tonfa was nearly identical to Shiro's energy, as was to be expected. But it was as if three Shiro were in the room, each slightly different. As for the claymore... it felt nothing like the other weapons.

Devu~aobuzanaitou~otchi, however, felt familiar. Not because he'd grown used to its weight and comforting presence as he had assumed. Because it felt like himself. In the months since obtaining it, he never actually reached out with his perception for it, but he knew, instinctively, that it used to be different. His brain made the connection then. He hadn't been just falling asleep during meditation sessions with Kenpachi Azalea. He'd unknowingly been doing Jizen, and she never told him. And if that had been Jizen, then that dream had been real. The... weapon was real. The girl, Devu~aobuzanaitou~otchi, had been his Spirit.

And, as his mind made these connections, it made a few others as well, picking up some inconsistencies. 

"This... is my Zanpakuto. Her name is... Devu~aobuzanaitou~otchi. That's what you're saying, right... Captain Shiroki?" As he asked, Hanzo changed his head to look not at the tall man in a coat, but the small Werewolf on his shoulder.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Huh. So the cat's out of the bag, was it? Well, damn.

Not that this came as much of a surprise, in hindsight. The invitation to Perceive almost counted as an open admission, didn't it--considering their new Lieutenant's progress in that field?

It occurs to him that he is *probably* being more cavalier about this development than is wise. A secret identity which was no longer secret isn't an advantage, after all.

Still...no point in crying over spilt milk. What's done is done, and the net value of a living lieutenant far outweighed the potential risk of others learning the secret.

"There's your proof, Hanzo. Not just anyone could See what you did just now. Remember when we first met? If we had this talk back then, you would'nt have noticed any reiatsu differences either," In the background Alfred powered down, entering a stooped position as the light left its eyes. "Some of the others still don't have a clue, actually. And I'd like to keep it that way,"

"So...yes. That's exactly what we're saying. Suspected as much when you mentioned napping around Old One-eye. If I know anything about the 11th, if that was REALLY the case you'd be dead now. Stands to reason that it wasn't a nap after all, since you obviously aren't. Dead, I mean," The recollection of that utter fiasco with the wolf Arrancar is still fresh in his mind. "Teacher or not, she does seem the type to get...carried away,"

"Seems you do have shikai after all, Lieutenant. Guess the question now is...what you're gonna do with it?" A pause. "I can book us a dojo if you wanna try it out, I mean. Up to you,"
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Hanzo nodded, looking from Shiroki to his own Zanpakuto. The voice in his head giggled. "That's my knight..." Hanzo shuddered as a chill went down his spine. This was real, he thought. He was a real Lieutenant. With a full-fledged Zanpakuto. His closest friend was the Captain of his Division. Somehow, he had more questions now than before.

"Shiro... er... Captain. I have no idea what my Shikai even does. I would need to practice and master its abilities, if any, before being able to use it while performing my new duties. It would be my responsibility now to master it as quickly as possible, and if you're offering assistance, I'll happily take it."
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Would he now? Taiyo always believed there was no better time than the present, and since that day had been set aside for the Lieutenant ceremony it left their afternoons relatively free. No reason to put things off any later, really.

"Shall we see how it goes in the dojo? No pressure, this won't be a vice-captain exam or anythin' since you already have the position. Just a little tag to see what that blade can do. Usual setup?"

Terms of engagement: continue till one is disarmed or surrenders. Pretty standard stuff all told. He would also pause to give Hanzo the right to select their venue; as well as opportunities to accept or decline. That was the challenged-party's prerogative...unless they recklessly wished to throw away that advantage: a more foolhardy option than most, especially where 2nd Squad was concerned.

The offer was both a simple courtesy and reminder of their basic tenets. Pausing to let Hanzo choose subtly emphasized the fact that they WERE assassins, each perfectly able to prepare and rig a sparring ground in advance. Moreover; not just ABLE to, but also EXPECTED to--assuming Hanzo had attended half their division drills the new officer would certainly know that rigging the arena was standard protocol in the Onmitsukido handbook. One simply did NOT just walk into any kind of fight without first scoping out its location. By that same understanding, it was considered simple politeness for the challenger to allow their (non-ninja) opponent to choose their arena--in so doing making it impossible for any traps or hidden surprises to be set up beforehand.

With two ninjas in the equation, things became a lot more complicated. Shiroki could certainly put Hanzo at ease by letting the other select the field of engagement...but since Hanzo too was ALSO onmitsukido, there would be no guarantee that the field he chose would be completely free of potential nasty surprises as well. That was a risk he would have to take.
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Hanzo rubbed the handle of his Zanpakuto- a real Zanpakuto!- and closed his eyes in thought. Taking a deep breath, he opened them, and gave Shiroki a smile. "There's an unused section of the Eleventh's training grounds. Nobody uses it anymore, and I doubt most of them know where it is, since it's not on any maps or accessible from the roads. Kenpachi Algaliarept showed me how to find it, since you have to go through some old buildings. Did you know the Eleventh Division has a library of all things?"

The unused area he was referring to was a section of the Eleventh formed by improper planning when the Division's grounds were being built. It was a few hundred square feet gap between several of the massive walls and buildings that formed the Seireitei, and could only by accessed by going through the Eleventh Division's library's second floor's storage room's window, and jumping down from the balcony. The building itself was almost never used, and featured as much dust as books.

In essence, it was the perfect place to fight without being observed, or causing any unnecessary damage. Nothing of value filled the lot, and grass grew thick there.

"I can show you the way, if you would like to go. None of the Eleventh should bother us there; the library hasn't seen anyone inside it but the Kenpachi in years it looks like."
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Why not? Learning about a semi-secret location in the heart of 11th's territory would surely come in handy at some later point in time. Not to mention his own burning curiosity at what Hanzo's shikai would manifest as. Having to cede familiar ground in exchange would be a small enough price to pay.

"Sure, lead the way,"
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am

Hanzo readjusted his attire, hand resting on the hilt of his beautiful Zanpakuto. "Alright, after me. It's quite the route so try not to let curiosity get the best of you, alright Sh- Captain Shiroki." Smiling, Hanzo turned and began to lead the way with a determined and purposeful stride.

While he'd been training under the Lady Kenpachi, he learned that the old habits of the 11th died hard. The best way to avoid being hassled was to act as if you had a reason to be there. Without an active Lieutenant, the chain of command went from the Captain directly to the other three seated officers, and nobody really knew everything the Kenpachi was doing, only what their rotation was ordered to do. And nobody wanted to step on her toes, so to speak.

The walk to the 11th was quick, but then Hanzo had to lead his Captain down several side streets and back alleyways until they came to the Old Training Ground. It was used for practice by some of the older members of the Division, but most preferred the updated New Training Ground that was by the barracks rather than this. But still, a handful of grizzled Humans and Giants were sparring or lifting weights, and in a corner a small pack of Werewolves, in Humanoid and Wolf forms, were wrestling. Hanzo lead the small white Werewolf along the wall to the building behind the yard. Sliding open the door, he gestured for Shiroki to go in ahead before sliding the door shut.

The inside was dark, and Hanzo pulled an old fashioned lantern off the wall and lit the flame. The light revealed a very dusty room with half-rotted benches. Eight bookshelves filled the room from wall to wall with small walkways between them. It was evident from the disturbances in the dust that someone had been here frequently recently and was reading some of the books and repairing the benches.

Hanzo looked around quickly before leading the way to the back, going up a flight of stairs behind the back counter. Upstairs were several rooms, but only one door seemed to have been used at all in the last three decades. He went through it and went immediately through a storage room full of outdated training equipment and boxes of books to a propped open window. He gestured out it to a small, completely enclosed area.

"Just jump on down, Captain."
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 am

The open ground sent up eddies of displaced dust as he fell; automatically remembering to haul back footpaws slightly so their claws wouldnt make a sound upon stone. He took his time returning upright, aware as usual of the myriad possible ambushes favouring a drop into unfamiliar terrain. A cursory assessment of the floor indicated that it seemed sturdy enough below their feet, which probably meant there werent any pit traps in evidence. He wouldve been somewhat disappointed if Hanzo resorted to something as obvious as a pit trap to follow up a dropping entrance anyway. Successful ambushes were all about creativity.

Of course, that didnt mean that other traps were out of the question. And so it was awhile before he actually considered their new surroundings.

Adjacent buildings towered on three sides of their makeshift arena, the fourth being bordered by a section of Seireteis own wall. By either some architectural oversight or design, this space in between had been overlooked and left to the mercies of time and nature. Hardy weeds and climbing ivy wound from cracks in the weatherworn paving, adding to the tableau. It was a secluded space, large enough to move about it yet at the same time enclosed...in other words, definitely unsuited for bankai or similarly destructive manifestations of personal power. Moreover it would be challenging to wield an air based medium ranged zanpakuto in these tight confines. Had the nature of his sword factored into Hanzo's choice of location? It wasnt as if his shikai was unknown to anybody above 5th seat after all.

Isolated, unknown and enclosed...with an environment that benefitted up close melee combat. In other words, the perfect site for an assassination. Even now Hanzo continued to surprise him. Not necessarily a bad thing.

He was perhaps a bit disappointed when no death-from-above maneuver materialized within the next ten seconds. Any other member of the squad would have eagerly seized the opportunity to push an advantage of high ground in these precious few seconds of disorientation affecting their captain upon his landing. That was the culture of Squad 2. Shiroki allowed pranks and ambushes, even encouraged them in the hope it would serve to keep them all alert. Save for a few commonly agreed upon safe zones like the business office and dormitories, most areas were fair game. It certainly made for a refreshing change compared to other divisions. Nor was he the one to initiate this custom, one of the few leftover traditions from Taiyo's era. As much as the ex head's methods were unorthodox, you had to admit they were effective. Shiro would never forget waking up one day to discover his tail braided with various ribbons complementing the nail polish to his claws. Ever since that incident he had taken care NOT to sleep in an easily accessible location after that.

He had let the tradition continue after his appointment however, and since then would usually encounter a couple of half-baked assassination attempts daily, sometimes even before breakfast. Nothing he couldnt handle...so far. But one had to admit it was interesting to see unique styles being developed which reflected the diverse personalities of regular assailants. Take 5th Seat Ka'teck, Vastine section head of the mobile response unit who delighted in aerial assaults for example. Or 7th Seat Amane with her overwhelming fascination for poisons and chocolate. To this day she insisted on sneaking portions of that fatal candy into the Captain's rations, a maneuver Shiroki was sure involved purposeful intent than any kind of ditzy ignorance, whatever Lieutenant Hanzo might claim. Amane wasnt an idiot after all, she knew her confection was toxic to canines.

And these were only two out of a handful that truly stood out among dozens of others for their energetic and creative attempts on the Captain's life. They'd even developed certain quirks or calling cards he knew to look out for by this point. Only Hanzo remained a stubborn holdout, an enigma who for some inscrutable reason or other hadnt yet made even one attempt at capticide. Depending on how you chose to look at it, that either made him less or more dangerous. In fact, Shiro did find himself wondering on occasion when Hanzo would get to it, and what sort of method he would employ when he did so. Surely it would be nothing short of spectacular.

Perhaps today was the day he found out.

So he gave the Lieutenant his best I'm-so-floofy smile, whilst reaching for, drawing and lashing out with wordless Shikai in the same motion as he did so. As usual, the action would be over in an instant, too quick for common shinigami to track. Nor had he allowed any telltale reiatsu to escape and give the game away, which was why it sometimes seemed like a magic trick when unlucky hollows appeared to suddenly collapse at his feet without him even appearing to draw the tonfa from its sash.

This was Buto, or First Strike as he liked to think of it, though he seldom explained attacks or revealed their names to opponents. While not exactly part of the repertoire he considered lethal moves, it was simple yet no less effective, often ending combat as soon as it had begun. Hanzo would surely be familiar with the maneuver, he'd used it often enough in the Lieutenant's presence

He waited to see how he would respond
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:13 am

Hanzo was still jumping down, habing blown the lantern out and set it on a sill while Shiroki got settled, when a spark of instinct found him holding his Zanpakuto, blade held defensively. Many weeks spemt enduring Lady Kenpachi's attackd made defense instinctive.

Hanzo gave a crooked smile to his Captain after the successful defense. "I apologize, Shiroki, but an obvious ploy like that will not work upon me. It seems my training has honed my senses."

Hanzo looked around the small space, his Zanpakuto still in hand. "But, if you're to use Shikai so soon, it would be disrespectful of me not to reply in kind... Hm... How do I call upon you, " this last he directed at the beautifully ornate katana.

Hanzo assumed a defensive stance a comfortable distancs from Shiroki, holding his sword before him. The princess in his mind spoke a mantra to him, and he repeated it aloud.

"Ascend, Princess of Emptiness. Attain the Sacred Throne and shed your holy light upon the world,Devu~aobuzanaitou~otchi!"

Golden light filled the enclosed space, towering higher until it peirced the clouds, and when it did, a single bolt of lightning crasged down, bathing the small space in harsh light.

Hanzo stood in the epicenter of light, lightning pouring down upon him. He was shirtless now, his uniform in tatters at the waist. The tattoos on his body glowed briefly gold, and when the lightning dispersed, held a steady green. Hanzo had a torc around his neck, bearing seven orbs. Metal armbands enclosed his upper arms, and in his right hand he weilded a long, fiercely sharp quadent, a four pronged trident-like weapon that resembled a key. His left hand carried a metal ring, from which were suspended several other key-shaped weapons.

Startlingly, at Hanzo's back was a halo, a ring of light with small coins floating in it. At the halo's center was an hourglass, the sand falling at an impossible slow speed. The coins were paired, two for each symbol. Heart, sword, box, shield, and blank.

Hanzo's body crackled with energy sparking off his torso, his mask giving away nothing of the bliss on he felt. Power flowed through him unlike anything he'd ever achieved before. He knew not how strong he was, what he could achieve. In his mind, this form was proof of his resolve to become stronger. And was only a single step on his path to progress!

With a feeling of elation, Hanzo swung the quadent around his wrist, slamming the smaller pronged end into the ground as he assumed his stance. When he did, light spread around the grounx seven inches, and the dissipated, the ground completely disappeared under himself. As Hanzo stumbled and stried to regain his balance, the sensation of being cool and powerful gone, a single blank coin disappeared.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:22 am

"Shikai? Me? My sword's still sealed and right here," he patted the already reverted wooden stick at his side, affecting an air of injured innocence that would have fooled anyone NOT in 2nd Division. "surely the Lieutenant must be mistaken,"

The banter did allow an opportunity to examine Hanzo's shikai, which he did at the earliest opportunity. A polearm apparently, if first appearances could be trusted. One that looked both heavy and cumbersome to wield, with similar disadvantages faced by Inukaze's blade-and-chain ensemble in this enclosed environment. The solid presence of it seemed to suggest pure-melee release, and yet there was something about the hourglass and key motif that set every self preservation sense (of which he had a few) tingling. Perhaps there was more to it than meets the eye

No sooner had that thought occured did Hanzo prove him right, impressively managing to somehow dematerialize the very ground below them. Solidyfing floating air reishi particles into makeshift flooring as precaution, he strode across air to assist Hanzo to his feet.

It occured to him belatedly as he did so that the entire thing could be a feint, that maybe what seemed like a deep pit would merely be an illusion type ability intended to catch him off guard. Or a real pit created for that purpose. Ah well, too late for second guesses anyway

At least it wasnt a total loss. He had discovered that whatever else it may be, his lieutenants release was definitely NOT a pure melee type. Illusion type or Earth element type most likely, seeing what it just did.

Note to self. Stay off ground, just in case.

Gripping onto Hanzo's arm, he hauled

Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:04 am

Hanzo laughed softly, shaking his head at his own folly. "That was unexpected. The ground's usually much more stable than this, " Hanzo exlaimed, having not seen the light.

Once ready again, Hanzo moved to a different spot, having thanked Shiroki for assistance. This time he readied his main weapon, holding it parallel to the ground.

Smiling to himself Hanzo thought over his options. The tattoos on his body flashed brightly as Hanzo lunged, swinging the heavy pronged end low,aimed at Shiroki's left ankle.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 pm

An illusion based release. Not that there were any guarantees about that, but neither was there any evidence against that theory. He could hear the old kido chief's dry, semi-sardonic tones dredged up from some deep recess of the mind:

""If you know for a FACT that your opponent wields an illusory type ability, do NOT give them a chance to use it. Illusions are the bane of many a fighter, and can make you a danger not only to yourself but those around you. Even Inei Ojou," here the Vastine had interjected a wry smile, "At its very worst can only kill you, maim you, or permanently shatter your connection with your zanpakuto. What an illusory ability is capable of however...is worse. Much worse,"

And then he had said it again to hammer the point home. Before demonstrating the mirror barrier kido that was their lesson for the day. Unfortunately, Ma'kine's imparted wisdom did not cover what should be done IF one stupidly allowed an opponent to unleash such a weapon anyway. Perhaps, from the old buzzard's point of view, such added information would be irrelevant. Anyone foolhardy enough to allow such a thing to happen probably deserved to be mind controlled and sent on a killing spree in the first place.

Oh well. No point crying over spilt sake. Figure it out yourself.

Most likely an earth element or illusion shikai, judging from how part of the floor had disappeared. Either way it stood to reason that neither floor nor walls around them would be safe. Depending on what level Hanzo expected his opponent to reason at, he could either disguise an illusion shikai as a standard elemental type to catch a person off guard...or simply go all out from the beginning. And the offhand remark the other had made...the one that almost made it seem like the disappearing ground was an accident, that reeked of suspicion on its own. No WAY in hell would a lieutenant not be able to recognise the aftermath of their own ability.

Therefore: he knows but doesnt want you to notice. Q.E.D.

This complicated things. Could he even trust his senses to start with? Sight, hearing, smell...any one of them might be easily compromised in this situation. Yet there was one sense less obvious, which might be harder to simulate: touch.

Setting aside all the obvious concerns for the moment about how a skilled illusionist could probably manipulate touch if they wanted to (because to even go there suggested the battle was lost), then the logical solution would be to NOT dodge the opponent's attacks but rather defend against them and react to the places they were coming from. Dodging would be more risk than it was worth, with the likelihood of evading a fake blow only to stumble into a real one...

"Inukaze,"

With shikai release in paw, he gave a nondescript flick of the blades. One that to a 3rd party would seem no more than an idle wrist motion to accustom the wielder to their new shape and weight. Few would recognize or even suspect his shikai ability in action, already Fetching the very air around his person and compressing it into a tighter shell that could hold up against incoming attacks. At his level of reiatsu control, he would be able to detect resonance feedback arising from attacks made on this unseen shield, and respond accordingly. On the surface it would seem as though their weapons had no effect on him at all.

They didnt call him the Untouchable for nothing.

And so he anticipated the low sweep aimed for a leg, doing nothing to avoid it from clashing against his homemade barrier of wind. Felt the telltale interaction of clashing reiatsu, and then--

An unexpected line of scarlet, appearing almost like magic across the fur of one shin. Had he not instinctively gone into shunpo immediately, giving a half-step allowance AS HE HAD BEEN TAUGHT the strike wouldve inflicted more than a superficial scratch. Which shouldve been

--impossible: this was the word he was looking for, rejected as soon as the notion occured. Obviously it WASNT impossible, given evidence which had happened right before his eyes. And while the air barrier he had conjured was NOT the strongest he was capable of, it surely was up to the task of handling a basic physical strike. That it had failed was strong evidence that the attack had been more than just physical.

Or else its also an illusion, and l THINK he's succeeded in breaking through the shield when he actually hasn't...but the cut still stings so l'm pretty sure an illusion attack to a vulnerable area might still end up killing me anyway.

"Huh," he could feel the sting on touching the graze, his paw came away slightly bloody, and the blood even tasted salty like blood should when he licked it off his pads. Either this was real, or it was the best damn illusion he'd ever seen. In either case, it was probably unwise to take further chances.

So far, it certainly APPEARED that incoming attacks were working the way they should. As long as you ignored how it had managed to bypass his shield in the first place. But what about outgoing attacks? Would they disrupt the maybe-illusion?

Disengaging to put some distance between himself and Hanzo, he brought up a paw. Aiming not directly AT Hanzo but a few inches to the left of one ear. Close enough that there would be no way of telling it wasnt a feint.

"Hado 4: Byakurai,"

An illusionist, in this position, would be better off making it LOOK like his hado had connected...being unaware that Shiro had fired to miss. Had their positions been reversed, Shiro wouldve made his illusion decoy appear affected by the blast, then used it as a distraction to attack in the short window when the kido caster instinctively lowered his guard. Seeing the lightning bolt actually affecting 'Hanzo' instead of streaking harmlessly past as it should have would be more evidence that they were stuck in an illusion. And this was important to know for certain, if only for the chance of victory
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:07 am

Many days and nights of training flashed behind Hanzo's eyes. Days and nights of the Kenpachi Azalea's harsh tutelage, teaching Hanzo the best way to handle a mid-range and long range fighters.

Hours of spears being thrown at him, of the Kenpachi's sword smacking into his back if he dared to use incorrect maneuvers. "Never run away from the projectiles. Get in low under the spear and attack, hard as you can. Ranged fighters are always weaker at close combat, and that's your strength. Now, five spears this time!"

Hanzo mentally shuddered at the memory, not registering the change in his person. After grazing Shiroki, a Shield coin had vanished, made more noticable as he did exactly as his training taught him, charging towards Shiroki, head swung low as his right hand thrust the quadrent, the left tossing his weapon-ring slightly, grasping a second weapon in mid-attack.

Hanzo's second weapon was a notched staff with several key-holes carved through it. Air whistled as he attacked, discordant notes of a song of battle. While the quadrent thrust, this second weapon dragged on the ground, Hanzo hoping to throw the dirt at Shiroki and blind him.

But, eight coins turned to seven as light flowed down Hanzo's left arm, through the staff and into the ground, digging a long gash through the ground before the staff came up, aimed for the Captain's face as the spear went for the heart.

"We're assassins. Go for the kill, or don't bother attacking. That's how the Second does things," Hanzo recalled Shiroki saying before.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Crap. So much for That idea

On hindsight it was obvious. Only logical for opponents to dodge. Should've taken that into account in the model. Then again the error was understandable: the past version of Hanzo would not have been able to evade and he had his plan formulated around this assumption.

Could a few months personal training under the 11th really make this much of a difference?

Evidently so, judging from the way his opponent bore down like a runaway train. Enough momentum lay behind that charge to make standing fast against it the pinnacle of folly. Especially with the size and weight diaparity between onslaught and target.

So he went with the momentum, main-hand blade reaching out to intercept the more dangerous thrust targeted for the heart while off-hand blade dug a desperate furrow into the ground below them in an effort to slow them both to a halt. An attempt only marginally successful, seeing as how they only just narrowly missed colliding with (and into) one of the adjacent building walls.

Observation: Hanzo is no longer the exponent you remember. He has grown as a person.

Suggestion: Reassess threat values accordingly

Had to hand it to him, it was a pretty smart decision to force the duel into one of close combat. Tactically sound, given that he favored a hit-and-run pattern of attacks relying more on speed and multiple small attacks to wear an enemy down.

Hanzo had overlooked one minor detail however. Forcing an opponent into close combat worked better if the attacker actually had a close combat weapon. Like Shiro, the cumbersone four pronged trident that was his shikai was a mid range weapon at best, not exactly suited for up close and personal setup of close combat. Nor could he resort to open hand strikes or punches easily...unless he chose to drop either trident or key staff to do it. A dagger wielder, for example, might have easily been able to shank somebody multiple times under such a disadvantage: an option neither of them could employ.

Not that it would be necessary however...given time, Hanzo's superior strength and stamina would certainly turn the tables eventually. Laws of nature still applied, and no amount of training could offset a size disadvantage.

Their current stalemate lock afforded time to weigh the options. He wasnt blind, nor was he unable to count--and only someone who was one or the other would have missed the giant hourglass thing behind Hanzo or the ring of coins surrounding it. The number had started out at 10 but was now down to 7, he had seen some disappear over the course of their combat. All in all, an interesting puzzle

Query: How strong is the evidence for Hanzo owning an illusion shikai?

Not very strong, admittedly. While there was no outward proof one way or the other, the lieutenant's reaction to his hado was not one typically expected of an illusion user. Far simpler to make a decoy take the hit and ambush by surprise...unless Hanzo intended to play a long con. But even that was...problematic. There are scenarios where stalling for time would work of course...like when reinforcements are expected. But in a one on one match drawing out the fight would not be to either's advantage.

Conclusion: Hanzo likely does not own an illusion shikai. Unless of course he DOES own one in which case no reasoned counterplan will possibly work so better to just abandon that possibility for now. If it added extra layers of complexity and impeded problem solving it was irrelevant

Query: what THEN was his shikai?

Not merely Earth type apparently. Or pure melee either judging from how it bypassed his air defense. Based on observation, something that could both cut through barriers AND make sections of ground disappear.

System Error. Does not Compute

Likely kido class then. Of unknown capability. And then there WAS that hourglass and coin accessory...perhaps a timer? Something that hinted at how long the shikai could be sustained maybe? He was willing to bet that the release would end one way or another when all coins were gone. Three down, 7 to go. It made sort of sense for a powerful ability to have time limiters or restrictions. Perhaps the sand counter showed how long it would be until another coin disappeared

Or maybe he enters some Super Saiyan phase when the coins are gone, goes One-Winged Angel and then proceeds to kick our butts.

Dear Me: stop watching Anime with Oshi. It's clearly not helping our thinking process.

"Not...bad, Hanzo," commented the canine aloud, surreptiously uprooting off-hand blade from where it was embedded in the zigzag trench of their passage to assist in fending off Hanzo's attack. "You left your back open though--"

With that he activated Recall, seizing an opportunity to press back as clods of earth and stones hurtled in his direction, drawn from the trench Inukaze had marked in the wake of Hanzo's charge. It was not as powerful as a standard Fetch would be, since the charge momentum had dispersed Inukaze's touch effect across an area rather than concentrating it on a single spot. In other words, not the usual dramatic spires of soil or earthquakes...more of a distracting pebble hail centered squarely on himself.

Leaving Hanzo, who had his back completely open to their assault, directly in the way of pebble oblivion. Pebblivion?

It would not do much, but the moment of distraction would be all he needed to lash out, score a glancing blow with Inukaze and disengage to open the distance between them.

Wait.

Was that...

...part of his blade disappearing?

HOLY #@%$!

Forget assault. Pull back at distraction. Attack later when things make sense. Pull back--

Without waiting to see his projectiles collide, Shiro flash-stepped away as soon as the pressure eased up. Hurriedly yanking Inukaze away from the deceptively innocent appearance of both trident and keystaff.

Even so he still heard a musical tink! as the uppermost tip of a blade sheared off and clattered to the ground below, no longer able to stay in place thanks to the newformed tiny hole created where quadrant had touched

And he was sure that Hanzo could hear it too.

Shikai:

Blocking against charge: may count as a Shield
Pebble Hail: an attack
The conscious decision to push back while ppponent is distracted by hail: turns what was originally a block (see above) into an 'attack'
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 am

Like Shiroki, Hanzo had big ears. True, they were rarely seen, but his hearing was impeccable due to his Fennec nature. So, he heard the chime of broken blade, and was caught off guard by the hundreds of small rocks that pounded his back like sedimentary hail.

Hanzo felt the air rush out of his lungs, as he leaned forward. Alright, he thought. So the objects behind me can't be used to protect myself. Nice to know that things just pass through them.

But, Hanzo craned his neck to look behind him. The coins he'd vaguely been aware of were vanishing one by one. Two blank coins, and both with shields were gone. Leaving the swords, crates, and hearts. What did they mean? And the hourglass... He wasn't sure, but he felt the sand was falling faster than before.

A voice, his Zanpakuto's, spoke to Hanzo, "Be a good knight and finish him already. I'm growing bored, Hanzo. And tired. This is boring! Faster Hanzo!" Hanzo jumped back, startled as his tattoos glowed brightly and he finally noticed their pulsating light. Simultaneously, he watched the hourglass rotate, flipping upside down. Now, the smaller side was all that remained, and it was falling faster than before.

"Wh-what! I don't know what this means!" Hanzo said aloud, looking at his quadrent.

The girl giggled in his mind and spoke. Hanzo spoke too, his voice a double timber as realization dawned upon the Lieutenant. Hanzo's voice was filled with dismay, but was paired with a high feminine voice of glee, "Erase everything or I/you lose!" Hanzo specifically said I, while the female voice talking with him said you.

Hanzo looked at Shiroki, panicked eyed. With much less focus and force than before, Hanzo lashed at Shiroki, thrusting directly for the broken blade as the spirit of Hanzo's Zanpakuto told him the drawback of her power. Either he erases everything... Or be erased himself.

"No knight of mine can be weak," Devu~aobuzanaitou~otchi giggled madly. Hanzo could hear her clapping in his mind.

Spoiler:

6 coins remaining. Time left: 30 minutes.
Coins used: Both Shields and both blank coins.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:12 am

The mortals have a saying about correlations that goes something like this: to have something happen twice is coincidence. To have it happen thrice, purpose.

This marked the 2nd occasion a person had gone totally nuts in his presence and become a danger to themselves, their surroundings and others. 3rd time actually, if you wanted to count BOTH the trespass of his vault AND Captain Tsuyosa's ill fated concert. Actually...make that 4th time, including Officer Itsuya's attempt at D.I.Y assassination during that whole Academy disaster. Was there something about himself that attracted catastrophe and crazy like flies to honey?

Sweet Kami, he hoped not.

With Hanzo quite obviously beyond rationale thought, Shiroki felt no qualms about putting more than a token effort into dodging the attempted strikes with shunpo. That he'd actually been forced into serious skirmish was an unexpected situation, especially considering he favored the assassin's approach of quickly resolving matters within the first few seconds of combat. Yet here he was, up against an opponent without any plan or prior knowledge of weaknesses whatsoever, wondering how to put an end to it without anyone involved getting killed.

So very obvious in hindsight, he wanted to kick himself for not reaching the conclusion sooner. Its ability was to erase what it touched of course. Which explained what happened to the ground, his air defense and his blade. Apparently his assumption about a time limit wasnt that far off the mark either, given how things only started to get hectic after the hourglass thing flipped over. Hanzo was acting like a person possessed and it didnt take a genius to see it had something to do with time constraints. This had crossed from practice spar into serious business, so likely whatever would happen when sand stopped trickling would be bad. They needed to end his shikai one way or another before whatever countdown was going on came to pass.

Easier said than done. Knowing now the nature of its ability, he wasnt very keen on risking Inukaze against it directly. Just the memory of seeing that bright glow eat away at her blade had rattled the captain more than anything else in months. It reminded him of the Commander's own skillset, except even more potent if that was possible. Far as he knew, Inei Ojou nullified only zanpakuto. Yet somehow Hanzo's shikai extended its effect to work on defenses and even his surroundings alike.

l swear. If his Bankai turns out to be a friggin Black Hole like Sensei's l am SO giving up on our current reality.

And on the heels of this thought: note to self, look into reincarnation and specifically the possibility of Hanzo being Ma'kine reborn. The way his universe was turning out, even THIS fact wouldnt be enough to surprise him.

Why the hell was his life like this?

"Hado 33: Sōkatsui"

He might have been able to resist Hanzo's shikai effects at full power. But then again, he might not. Best not to take chances. If zanjutsu wasnt an option, kido spells from range would have to suffice. He wouldnt be running out of THOSE any time soon, so it wouldnt matter even if Hanzo erased them.

One shot was probably enough. But just in case...

"Hado 32: Ōkasen"

The wide angled arc of force streaked out towards its destination, easily spanning the small square they were in from end to end. He had purposely dispersed its energy across a wider area, sacrificing force and precision for a catch-all explosion of force that covered the entire arena, eventually reaching Hanzo wherever he chose to go.
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:17 am

Hanzo's eyes wemt wide at the attack. Bracing his legs, he used the quadrent to parry the initial Hado, erasing it and a weapon coin. In the same motion, he slammed his staff and ring in front of himself, creating a small wall of weapons that he used to shield himself.

With the Key Wall in place, he could not see Shiroki. That worried him. Never take your eyes off an assassin. He raised his voice, calling to Shiroki. "I think I know how Devu works. Each coin represents something i Have to erase with her power. But, there's a catch. If i don't beat the clock, the backlash will fall entirely on me. I don't want ti hurt you, Shiroki. "
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 am

"You won't." Normally, it would require a minor miracle to attempt support oriented kido such as Tenteikuura in the fast paced chaos of actual combat. Most people didnt, being content to stick with its accustomed use for sending long range messages in less hectic situations.

Shiroki wasnt most people. Tenteikuura was just another tool in his box of tricks, and so he worked at finding new and creative uses for the technique. Working it into his Alfred disguise persona for example, or in this case...using it to project the disembodied voice of his spookier gigai self somewhere behind Hanzo's left shoulder--the place any competent assassin wouldve been lurking to attack. Hearing those dry brittle tones so very close would evoke shock in most people, while less effective on an actual 2nd Squad Vice Captain used to most of his tricks it might prove disorienting enough for him to pull off what he planned next.

"This is Squad 2 Hanzo. You're SUPPOSED to want to kill your opponent. Even in a practice scenario. Your zanpakuto embodies this, so part of you must be thinking it though the rest of you does not. The wellbeing of your opponent is NOT your concern and never should be. They made a choice which got them on your hitlist, so its up to them to get themselves out. And if you do end up killing me, at least l know the squad will be in more competent hands,"

Saying thus, he ended Tenteikuura transmission to gather the reishii reserves required for phase 2. Reiatsu hung thick about them in the enclosed space as he shaped it to order, scrubbing vainly at the damned black streak marks leftover from the communication bakudo and keeping an eye on Hanzos key wall as he did so. Wouldnt do to have those remain, not if phase 2 was to succeed.

Eventually, THREE jackal boys took up positions around Hanzo where only one had stood before. Each was essentially identical to their counterparts...except for certain smudges of black still marking the arms of the original, only noticeable from up close. It had proved impossible to scrub away ALL the traces of tenteikuura in the short time window available, the best he could hope for was to keep things confused enough that Hanzo failed to notice.

So Hanzo's shikai worked by erasing things, did it? In that case, he could give it plenty of targets to erase...

"Hanzo," Shiroki-One stated, breaking ranks from the other two and walking up to the Shapeshifter. "This is a technique modelled after my Bankai's Preyscape. No, we're not entirely speed clones so don't think you can get rid of us by hampering our ability to move. We're so much more. You can see us, hear us," he reached around the wall to illustrate this point. "You could even SMELL us, if you want to shift and try that. Point is, we're indistinguishable from the original in every way. And to get through us..."

Here Shiro-One's speech cut out, interrupted by the sudden appearance of a blade erupting from his midsection. With a neat flourish, Shiro-Two lashed out with Inukaze, banishing the first copy into a formless mist that simply drifted off and reconstituted as TWO more Shiros a distance away. "You will have to take down all of us,"

This was apparently the cue for Shiro-Three to step in. "No need to look so worried, you arent in any danger Hanzo. At least not from the clones. They cant exactly touch you in any way, but you wont know which ones which will you? We can certainly..." with a wave of an arm, Shiros One and Two charged the wall, seeming to make realistic clashing sounds as they struck against it. "...imitate reality very well."

"l dont make a habit of showing this technique to people who dont end up dying shortly afterwards, so you're one of the few to see it. As you saw just now you cant kill my reiatsu selves through normal means, regular killing strikes or kido just causes them to break apart and DIVIDE, making even MORE of us. Your shikai ability might work though, if you manage to work it out in time. Shall we try beating that clock of yours, Hanzo? Time's ticking..."

Without warning, two 'Shiros' charged at once--only to dematerialize after leaping the wall and coming into direct contact with Hanzo. In their wake FOUR Shiros formed, nodded to each other, and mounted a second charge.

"Who's up for some tag?"

Clones:

Strictly speaking the clones are not an offensive techique, only a disorienting one. They cannot harm a person, and vanish moments before actual contact (meaning its unlikely they actually touch Devu or trigger its powers in their 'attacks')
They CAN be attacked though, but its usually futile to do so as demonstrated.
They originate from the caster's reiatsu, as a variant of the suppression technique all Captains already know. Except instead of just suppressing own reiatsu, the caster projects it outward where other people with sufficient Perception ability sees them as actual physical beings. The tactic will not work on a regular mortal or somebody with 0 Perception ability.
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm

In the wake of Shiroki's clone assault, Hanzo shook his head. Quick as he could, Hanzo grabbed his keyhole staff, and several small key-shaped daggers and swords. Back-pedaling to put space between them, Hanzo began to fit the daggers into the staff, the blades sliding in to the hilts and locked into place. It was distracting and difficult to do with all the clones, but Hanzo tried to focus on making sure each weapon was slid into the correct slots.

In total, two were slotted near the base, with a shortsword a quarter the way to the front of the staff. The sword's blade stuck through the staff, but the weapon was secured.

Following Devu's instructions, Hanzo had combined several weapons to form a new shape, which, as he knelt on the ground and braced the weapon perpendicular to himself, the two daggers on either side of his shoulder, and the handle of the sword on the ground, took the shape of a riffle.

Light rushed from Hanzo's body, filling the staff and key-weapons. The top of the staff had a key-shaped hole in it, which brimmed with light. "Erasure shot," Hanzo said, firing the light in a wide arc, not unlike how Shiroki had done with his Kido. But, Hanzo's light was just as potent spread wide, though it lacked penetrating force, stopping wherever it touched solid material.

Combat:

Erasure Shot Technique uses Spiritual Combat
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down