» Safe Passage (Open)
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:21 pm by Non-Player Character

» Destiny, fate, or chance? (Open)
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 am by Adyna

Back to Basics (Open)

Go down

Back to Basics (Open)

Post by Shiroki on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 am

Bearing witness while a gang of enthusiastic battle-junkies whaled on a single Arrancar-Togabito was not the only reason Captain Sakanade had stopped by the 11th that day.

He had been uncharacteristically surprised to see what the new Kenpachi considered a training session, and grudgingly approved of the message she was trying to pound into thick Shinigami skulls. Constant vigilance was indeed something that the Gotei could use more of, if half of the rumors reaching his ears were true. Togabito invasions under his very nose? Vasto Lorde sightings in squad 4? Strange invaders capable of magicking away objects?

Okay, scratch that last one. A Hollow had taken care of the problem most conveniently. But that was not the point. What concerned him was that the problem existed in the first place. Shiroki's confidence in the four Gatekeepers had been steadily plummeting since he took on the role as Captain, and with the appearance of this Togabito he had half a mind to recommend the Commander just sack the lot of them. A team of Onmitsukido lookouts would be far more use than those lumbering boulders. It was good to know that someone besides him got the message; even if that someone was one of the people he held suspicions of in the first place.

But while he approved of his colleague's no-nonsense approach, the 11th squad grunts were a different matter altogether. He had known that the encounter would not end well even before he cast a bakudo barrier around Arrancar and opponents that would protect those outside from being hit by stray attacks. Never before had Shiro been more grateful for Ma'kine's tutelage in kido. Had it not been for all those hours of practice and disapproving frowns so long ago, he wasn't sure if any of them would have survived the encounter alive. While he hadn't expected much, the entire thing was almost a disaster: drunk Shinigami waving swords and tripping over their own feet, getting hit by friendly fire from recklessly swung blades and miscast hado alike. It would almost have been funny, had not the audience been in more danger than the Arrancar-Togabito herself

--which was related to the second reason he was here that day: to assist the Kenpachi in a refresher course on zanpakuto handling and maintenance, as demonstrator and co-lecturer. This was his half in a trade that he had negotiated with Kenpachi Azalea so that she would agree to coach Hanzo while not killing the guy in the process. He was sure that she could do more for unlocking the masked warrior's potential than he ever could.

Gliding smoothly to join his colleague, Shiroki cast an eye over those remaining in the crowd looking for Hanzo and the newcomer he'd noticed during graduation some days prior. He'd heard from the grapevine that 11th had managed to get its hands on the new talent, and while disappointed at not having first crack was keen to see how he would continue to do. As for Hanzo...he hoped Hanzo would attend, since the course was open to all and he suspected the officer would benefit more than most. Especially the part of the lesson that dealt with carrying-your-zanpakuto-at-all-times-and-not-letting-it-out-of-your-sight. Which included not locking it away in vaults.

Having decided ahead of time to come as 'Alfred', Shiroki had made preparations for the situation. He'd readied his trademark bakudo Tenteikura ahead of time; waiting for the last few stragglers to show up before finishing the casting. This ensured that when he 'spoke', the words themselves came not from his gigai but the listeners' own heads. It was what he resorted to whenever he made appearances as the hooded captain as opposed to his actual self.

"Welcome to zanpakuto 101," the 'voice' that his audience would hear was largely dependent on the listener's subconscious expectation, meaning most would hear what they expected to hear: a dry, raspy tone that suited a mummified corpse trying to speak. "Or, as I like to call it--how not to die."

A few chuckles from the crowd, as well as some uneasy sidelong glances. Nothing unusual there. "Those of you who were here just now have seen the dangers you pose to each other by not taking things seriously. Our Kenpachi," he nodded to Azalea. "Has already demonstrated this so you don't need a reminder. I'm not here to show you HOW serious things can be. If you haven't already learned that from the Cap'n there's no way you'll learn it from me. What I AM here for is to show you what you CAN do about it,"

Fixing his gaze on the crowd, he considered each of them in turn. "Most of you already know who l am. For those who don't--I'm Cap'n Sakanade of Squad 2; leader of the Minazuki and commander of the Stealth Corps. I know most of the 11th," he studied their faces carefully. "Don't think highly of me and 'my kind'. We aren't fighters or warriors. We don't meet you face to face an' sword to sword. But I can still kill more than half of you in the next five seconds and you'll be dead before you even realize it. The other half--" here his Tenteikura transmission injected a lighter tone as he nodded towards Kenpachi Azalea and a few others' whose reiatsu suggested they possessed Shikai. "Might take a while longer,"

More chuckles from the audience. Shiro pressed on. "I'm not here to teach you to kill. Kenpachi Azalea here is perfectly capable of doing that if you want to stay after class. I'm here to show you how you can be killed, and steps you can take to prevent it. First: your zanpakuto. I'd like to borrow one for this demonstration. Do we have any...volunteers?"

Last edited by Shiroki on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroki
Admin

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Back to Basics (Open)

Post by Hanzō Judai on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am

Hanzo was late, again. As he had been every day since Kenpachi Azalea so graciously agreed to teach him. Therefore, he'd missed the entire explanation of Togabito, and was left wondering why Captain Sakanade and Kenpachi Azalea were watching a bunch of 11th members get stomped by an Arrancar.

Hanzo had the same excuse he used every time; he'd been taking care of his asauchi. Already, great progress had been made under the shapeshifter's tender care, bending and straightening the end cap so it'd stay in place, replacing the decayed wooden handle with one he spent a good portion of his savings on so it'd look as close to what the decayed piece must have looked like. It was a pale wooden handle with golden samegawa, ray skin, around it, over which sky-blue silk was wrapped. The menuki of the handle were gorgous looking stylized suns, all black, that provided grip. The endcap had been worked extensively, until it glimmered and the intricate details of a black stylized sun were revealed.

The scabbard had been replaced with as close a replica as Hanzo could craft, spending tens of hours examining the old scabbard to make sure the details were perfect. This scabbard was made of wood with very dark lacquer applied. Of course, fixing the scabbard involved straightening the blade itself, now rust-free and polished until it was reflective. Overall, it was a far cry from the junk-heap he'd claimed as his own, and he took great pains in making sure nothing ever damaged it, holding it closely at all times, the scabbard hanging from his left hip by a golden silk cord, and his wooden sword on his right.

He was surprised to hear his Captain speak, however. However, when the call for volunteers came, Hanzo pressed his hand to the beautiful scabbard he'd made, pressing it reassuring to his side. The muscular Shapeshifter would never let anyone hold his Asauchi, never again.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

Species : Shapeshifter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grym Balthorn on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Grym Balthorn would cross his arms as he watches the 2nd squad captain speak, not really caring about the fact that is the first time this person seemed to speak, he was interested that this captain was taking time to teach them not to get killed, which was a surprise.
Grym Balthorn
Seated Officer

Species : Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 am

No takers? Good. Maybe this new batch actually had enough common sense to work with. It would be a welcome change. Then again...he couldn't help but notice a couple in the group who seemed to be unarmed. Either they were in some sort of permanent shikai or they just decided to leave the damn soul slayers at home. Knowing this group it was probably the latter.

It seemed demonstrations were in order.

And so Shiroki deployed Senka from a standing position, flitting from back to back and delivering the equivalent of an unarmed punch to his victims' Soul-Chain and Soul-sleep without a single word of warning--starting with those who had come empty handed. He refrained from lethal force and left the nodaichi sheathed, letting the suddenness of the attack do the talking.

"You are dead. You are dead. And you are dead,"

One could almost feel the surrounding tension ratchet up a notch as hands tightened around zanpakuto hilts and eyes darted from side to side looking for clues as to where the next strike would come next. As they should have been from the start.

"This is Yokushi, a strategy adopted by my squad for group encounters. It's not called 'Deterrence' without reason. Some of you," he gestured at Hanzo. "Will already know what I'm doing, but for the sake of those who don't..."

He moved again, flash-stepping in increasingly random and haphazard patterns, punctuating each sequence with a strike to the back. "Your enemy will start with the weak ones. Remove distractions. And doing so, manipulate the rest of you by the emotions you're experiencing."

"What's going on--" A burly spectator doubled over, clutching at his chest

"my allies are dying--" He tried for and got two at once, knocking a victim back into the person directly behind

"What do I do--" A practiced twist of the wrist neatly disarmed the zanpakuto from another recruit's grip. Now that all the unarmed participants were being taken care of he was moving onto the others, closing the ring. If anyone were present who STILL wasn't at full alertness they would probably see him remaining right where he was as able-bodied Shinigami doubled over or grunted for no particular reason all around him. He wasn't moving at full shunpo speed though, so anyone who made an effort to focus and keep up with him could probably do it if they tried.

Working his way systematically around the circle, Shiroki rounded on both Grym and Hanzo--the few present who could actually manage some semblance of defense against this assault. This wasn't too different from the usual Second Squad drills, so Hanzo at least would have seen it before and known about the counters. As for Grym; the guy had potential--their duel earlier had suggested as much and so he wasn't that concerned about holding back. They would put up more of a fight than everyone else so far, and lead this demonstration to its approaching conclusion--where Kenpachi Azalea would come in. Though it wasn't as if there was much time to discuss the 'lesson-plan', he'd made it clear that this segment was a free for all--and wholly expected the other Captain to enter the fray eventually. The only question was when she would do so.
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Hanzo wasted no time once he learned that the Captain was going to be 'playing' Yokushi with them. His time spent training under Kenpachi Azalea had began to sharpen his senses and he quickly moved beside the newest Eleventh member, his voice quiet as he appeared at the man's side, "Get back to back with me. Guard your front, and I'll protect mine. Our backs together means we'll be covering each others'."

The man with the Deva helmet drew his Asauchi. The gorgeous blade reflected the mock carnage; men sitting down or in a daze where in reality they'd have been bloody corpses had this been an attack and not a game. He didn't worry about using a sword to parry his Captain's handstrikes. A Zanpakuto was a weapon, a tool. And they were meant to be used.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grym Balthorn on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:32 am

Grym watched as his allies fell around him, he heard the one person that he didn't recognize from Eleventh so he must be from another squad, but none the less, he not gonna go down that easy, so he pressed his back against the helmet wearing Shinigami and slowly draws his own Zanpakutō, his spirit energy flaring enough to give of a pulse of spirit pressure almost, if not on par, with a squad leutenant, giving a slight grimace as he didn't wish to give off any hint of how strong his spirit energy is, it only slipped a little.

"sorry bout that, I'll try to keep it in check, but I might have to release shikai it get to where we need an advantage."

He knew that saying that may make him a greater target so he would try to focus on Reiatsu perception so that he can quickly defend himself if their opponent comes at them.
Grym Balthorn
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Va'tet on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 am

There was a sudden rush of wind over the crowd before the sensation of an ancient and mighty Hollow appeared out of thin air over the group. But, all that occurred was a slight girl of seventeen years dropping down in the center of the melee. She had four huge wings, whose coloring was every shade of white from the brightest, cleanest snow to the palest colored hay. The girl's hair was likewise colored, and she landed softly on her feet, eyes down before she looked up at those who remained standing.

Her wings, well over fifteen feet across, beat once more, sending a gust of wind in all directions before they began to fold along her back, their huge size causing them to frame her body. Said body was lithe, but covered in pale pink armor, decorative while still providing protection. It was not unlike armor worn by knights of old. At the girl's hip was a scythe, a crude weapon with a short handle.

The girl's body radiated power of a Hollow, bloodlust and hatred oozing from her position. But, her face showed no emotions of any kind as she looked up, her eyes filled completely with rainbow-colored, spinning irises.

"I apologize for being late. The layout of Seireitei has changed since my day, and I was lost as a result," Her whisper-soft voice was monotone. She placed her hand on her scythe's crude blade. "That is enough, Muerte."

"It's enough when I say it is enough," a deep voice replied. Rising up from behind the Vastine Amorte girl was a man wearing a leather biker's outfit, huge black wings rising from his back. The man had three green eyes, two visible on his face and the third seemingly coming straight out of the mask that covered the upper portion of his head. The Hollow male had a long gun, more of a cannon, in place of his right forearm, and his left hand had wicked clawed fingers.

"My name is Va'tet and I am here to learn with you," the girl said, ignoring the Hollow that stood inches behind her.
Va'tet
Unseated Officer

Species : Vastine Amorte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 am

Grudging acknowledgement warred with mild irritation at how Grym showed less hesitation to cut loose as compared to previously. Did the physical body one occupied at the moment really make that much of a difference to people? Apparently so, given that he wasn't exactly flaring power in his current incarnation as squad Captain. Logically speaking, it made no sense to take somebody seriously based on what rank they were. A 10th seat going all-out would be just as capable as a Captain if the opponent was within their means. It did not matter in the long run if a person were run over by an oxcart or one of those horseless carriages the living world employed nowadays. Even though the latter was considerably faster and more powerful than the cart, whatever it hit would end up just as dead.

The appearance of a newcomer; while unscheduled, was not entirely unexpected. Shiroki had sensed the newcomer once she had set foot (wing?) within 11th squad grounds, but the hitherto-overlooked Hollow showing up unexpectedly as a blip on the radar had been a surprise. That alone warranted automatically assigning whatever part of the subconscious NOT occupied with Azalea to handle the new potential threat(s). Not that they were doing anything particularly threatening or noteworthy at the moment, but more out of principle. One couldn't help getting a little antsy or twitchy in the presence of their organization's ancestral enemies.

Also, he had to admit that the nearby Hollow essence was kind of making him hungry and stoking the feral urges just a wee bit. Maybe it was time to finally admit having a problem.

Her presence did allow an opportunity to make a point however--assuming certain people were quick enough on the uptake. Had this been a real battle situation with himself as the aggressor; the appearance of a new player would have thrown a wrench into the works and forced Shiroki to shift focus from the already-deterred group to the fresh, unaffected new target. Discounting the newcomer to finish off the affected group was a tempting option, but only viable if quick victory was certain. The positions Hanzo and Grym were taking ruled out such a likelihood anytime soon. And so the only reasonable recourse would be to switch to and intimidate the new opponent, hopefully without being overrun.

Therefore, Shiroki did just that--taking the trouble to telegraph his motions slowly for audience benefit. It took a little more effort to widen his Tenteikuura mental link to include their newest visitor as well, but still manageable while circling Hanzo and Grym in the pretense of looking for an opening. "You honor us, officer. As someone of experience, and also for the sake of this demonstration, would you mind pointing out a mistake I'm currently making when faced with multiple opponents?"

He then proceeded to violate rule #1 of every assassin-survival handbook by turning his back on BOTH Grym and Hanzo in saying so, launching an unarmed paw-strike in Muerte's direction. Not only did it go against every instinct; such a maneuver was something that ALL past Captains of Second habitually urged members to take advantage of. What sort of assassin could pass up a perfectly good stab in the back? They'd done this practice often enough for Hanzo to know what was expected, surely. Yet on most of those occasions it was usually one of the other squad members who actually gave the 'finishing' blow. Would he have the initiative to do so now, with an opponent 'distracted'? Would Grym? He supposed he'd just have to find out.

C'mon Hanzo, don't let me down
Shiroki
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanzō Judai on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:26 am

Hanzo kept his eyes on the Captain up until the gusts of wind threatened to knock him over. Even after the gusts ended and he righted himself, Hanzo's eyes remained focused on the threat, his Captain, and his back against Grym's.

He listened only partially to the exchanges of words, but, going against all his innate desires, lunged forward the moment his Captain turned his attention away. Hanzo was doing a straight thrust, the glimmering blade in his hand moving directly forward, aimed precisely at the Captain's spleen. He doubted he'd land a direct hit against the much faster opponent, but even a scratch would make him proud of himself.
Hanzō Judai
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grym Balthorn on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 am

Grym would remain quiet as he looks to the newcomer and the hollow, he eyes the hollow for it's the first one he has seen ever.

"so...... That's what a hollow looks like, well one of them at least."
Grym Balthorn
Seated Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down