» Character Theme songs
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:17 pm by Azalea

» Racial Techniques (WIP)
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 pm by Azalea

» It's a Party! (Invite only)
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:40 pm by Non-Player Character

» Changing Race on Damnation
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm by Azalea

» The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 am by The Wandering Scholar

» Flames of Redemption (A What If Plot)
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 am by Shiroki

» End of Waiting (Va'tet/Kibo)
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 am by Va'tet

Azalea's House of Jumpscares (OPEN)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Azalea's House of Jumpscares (OPEN)

Post by Azalea on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Twelve Hours Earlier

"My decision is final," Nocens said. She was in her Perfect form. She had been ever since her training with Death had finished. She found herself unable to return to her younger forms, but in exchange she recalled so much from when she had been alive. "I, and I alone, will infiltrate the Shinigami. While my younger self would have gladly allowed us all to charge in, ready to slaughter the Shinigami for their past crimes, we must take a more cautious route. I had fought the Shinigami before, having believed myself able to brush off their attacks. I know more about the situation, and have decided that this is the best way to tear them apart; from the inside."

Her Horsemen, of course, were standing before her. None of them were pleased by any of the recent events. They had all allied themselves with the young Nocens, and while they knew they were one and the same, this much older woman calling herself Azalea was so different from their leader. And they frowned upon her plan that required stealth, cunning and more than a small amount of luck.

"This plan of yours sounds fine now, but so much can go wrong, Noce-, forgive me, Azalea. You're under the assumption you can even join the Shinigami, or gain their powers. And, while you're there, you'd need to constantly hide your spiritual pressure, you'd need to return to Hell frequently without being caught, you'd need to return without being seen... And that's not even telling who will run Hell without you. There's too many unanswered questions," Pestilence spoke up. She found it unusual that Pestilence chose to speak up on this, having always been the quietest of the Horsemen. But Azalea nodded her head in acknowledgement.

"Hell will continue to function as it has ever since I took over. You each will maintain order within your respected Circles, with Death leading you without me. As for becoming a Shinigami myself, I see no reason I cannot. All Shinigami were simple Souls before being trained in their ways, and beyond my Togabito nature, I am still a Human Soul. As Quincy/Togabito exist, and Hollow Togabito as well, it is reasonable to assume that a Shinigami can be a Togabito as well, or in this case, the reverse. As for my returns to Hell... I'll find a way when it becomes prudent. No Togabito can live forever outside of Hell,
but you'd be surprised how long you can last before starving to death. And before anyone else speaks, I'll remind you all that though you are my treasured friends, I am, and always will be, your Emperor. And I say none of you are to enter the Soul Society in search of me. If I am needed, remain here in Hell and have Death pull on my Chains. I will feel it and return immediately. Do so only as a last resort. Now,
" Azalea said as she rose to her feet, getting out of her throne. The Emperor of Hell wore a black Togabito garment with a thick bandier. Her hair pooled at her feet when she stood, and she rested her hand on the handle of her glowing sword on her back. The Requiem-forged sword had a core of Kushinada bone, but the blade itself was one mass of many fused together Requiem gemstones, the chimeric remains of 'dead' Togabito, whose immortal souls fused together after dissolving to ash, forming gemstones with tortured skulls swirling over their surfaces. Her sword had grown since becoming Azalea, fueled by Togabito blood and death, growing to a sword almost as long as she was tall. The Requiem Zweihander was one of the largest concentrations of the gem in Hell, and she estimated thousands of Togabito resided in fragmented form within her blade. "I have a function system to destabilize. I'll return when I can."

Now

Azalea stood outside a gigantic gate. Before her was a giant of a creature, quite literally. "I understand you cannot allow me access to the city, Mister Seijinkabe Baozhai. But I am seeking to challenge one of the Captains of the Gotei for their position. I'm willing to remain here, but I was under the assumption your Captains were not cowards. Or, if you'd prefer, I could fight you first, but I'd rather do this as civilly as possible."

Azalea

Race : Togabito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Azalea's House of Jumpscares (OPEN)

Post by Shiroki on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Elsewhere, a cold chill ran down a certain officer's spine. It was the kind of sensation one got when something very bad was going to happen; the sort that he usually associated with deafening J-pop, unsolicited hugs or the end-of-existence-as-we-know-it.

He couldn't hear any music, nor did there seem to be fullbringer ladies lurking nearby to suck his lifeforce. That ruled out possibilities 1 and 2, which left...

--Oh dear

It was said that Retrieval never forgot a face, and this contributed to their reputation within the Rukon underworld. Not exactly true. Shiro forgot plenty of faces. All humans tended to look alike, after all. He could no more recognize the fellow squad member who said 'hi' to him in the division barracks, never mind a felon apprehended weeks or months before.

Reiatsu however, was something else entirely. All things considered, it made a better identification profile than appearance alone since no two people had the exact same trace--just like fingerprints. Nor did it matter the extent to which the overall power was suppressed, as long as a fraction was employed it would be enough to get a sense of the general aura of the whole. And here was a certain presence he had hoped to never encounter again:

Ryoka-chan. Apparently back for round two, or so it seemed.

"All units, stand by. Put me on Tenteikura check-in; fifteen minute rotation. If I don't report during that interval, dispatch priority one messengers and hell butterflies to the Captains and Commander, suggesting emergency measures," The memory of last time's death toll surfaced unbidden in his mind. "Unseated officers, prepare to evacuate. Don't engage,"

With that Shiroki made his way to the gate, snagging uniform and badge on the way. He was going to do this by the book this time, dammit. Not even Captain Hollow would be able to find fault with it.

Fortunately, the structure in question still remained intact...for now. The Gatekeeper too appeared to be alive as well. Would wonders never cease. Slowing from flash-step to a regular stride, Shiro made a detour through the much-smaller passage beside the great gate itself, an emergency exit known only to seated officers (there had to be a way for Shinigami to enter and exit after all, even in a wartime situation where main gates were permanently shut)

Closing the passage behind him, he strolled up to the hulking gatekeeper and tugged at the man's hakama, treating them both to his best I'm-just-a-little-kid-don't-mind-me smile. "Is there a problem, Baozhai-dono?"

Jii-san always did say first impressions were important.

Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azalea on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Azalea turned her eye to the newcomer. The Empress was in her mid thirties, physically, standing at five feet exactly. She had a comely, womanly body with hair that pooled at her feet when she stood. Her skin was black as night, and coursing over her skin were golden veins and arteries, the majority hidden by a black uniform. She had switched from her typical Togabito clothes to ones she fashioned herself, modeled after Tanua's own. The garment was black and shaped like a Shinigami's, but had the tight fit the Togabito enjoyed, with rectangular buttons at the cuffs, down the front and at the collar holding it closed. Unlike the God of the Togabito, Azalea did not have fur lining hers.

The woman wore her glowing black-and-red blade on her back, her hands on her hips as she shifted her eye from the Giant to the Werewolf. "Are you, per chance, the 'Kenpachi,' I've heard so much about? I was hoping to challenge him for his or her title, but it seems they reside beyond this wall. Mister Seijinkabe Baozhai here refuses to let me pass.
Perhaps there is some way things can be arranged, for I sincerely doubt whomever lives behind these doors is truly the 'strongest of swords'.
"

Azalea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Did the ryoka lady look different from before? She felt the same, but not completely. The fact that she wasn't shouting at them and chopping heads left and right like last time was a giveaway. Was it even the same person? He was pretty sure. Make that fairly sure. One couldn't change their reiatsu, no matter how they tried.

Also, did she recognize him? She hadn't showed any indication of that, which was probably for the best. Having personal grudges be involved wasn't the best strategy for peaceful debate.

Well, whatever--

Shiro tried a courtly bow, not so low that he couldn't keep both eyes on her while doing so. "I'm sorry for the holdup, but our Commander isn't available at the moment. Is this an official challenge for the 11th? Baozhai-dono, have you made the arrangements?"

What he could tell from taking a glance at the Gatekeeper didn't exactly fill the Lieutenant with confidence. Seijinkabe appeared to be at a loss for words, eyes going back and forth from himself to the ryoka and back again like a spectator at an intensive tennis match.

Sighing, Shiro expanded Tenteikura to include the 11th Division and passed on a short message its Captain would surely be interested in. Grunt-work though it was, it was preferable to being involved in a life or death battle just because somebody got annoyed at the red tape.

Speaking of annoyed, the ryoka did appear to be somewhat miffed behind all that surface courtesy. Hopefully 11th responded soon. It would take a while to gather the required number of witnesses if a formal challenge was what she had in mind. Now all he had to do was make sure nobody got killed while they were waiting.

"I've notified the Captain of your challenge and they should be on their way," It seemed Gatekeeper-san wouldn't be much help in this situation, more's the pity. Shiro tried elbowing him casually, then not-so-casually, both times failing to get a response. He feared he might have to resort to using reiatsu at this rate. "Is there anything else we can do for you in the meantime?"
Shiroki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azalea on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 am

The Empress in disguise gave a polite curtsy, her back bending enough for her cursed-looking blade to be visible before she straightened. "If there is no way for the 'strongest swordsman' to get here faster while making the other preparations required, perchance we find another means to pass the time, if yourself is not busy. I'd invite Mister Seijinkabe Baozhai, but it seems he has a a duty to be as stoic as possible. Which does remind me, however, Mister Seijinkabe Baozhai, if you are the guardian here, perhaps you should not leave so many openings in your defenses. A smaller companion would be most beneficial to someone as large as a Giant, for with enough speed anyone could easily move between your legs or around you without your notice."

The black-and-gold skinned woman turned her red eye back to the Werewolf. She knew of Werewolves, of course, but they were rare in Hell. Not as rare as their bitter rivals, the Vastine Amorte, but definitely less common than Giants. In fact, the only Species had not personally met before were the Angels, the youngest species, the bastard children of Vastine and science.

"Perhaps there is something you can show me, not-Kenpachi," Azalea began before noticing the badge. "Or is it Sir Not-Kenpachi? Well, if you have the time, I could suggest a game while I await the so-called best swordsman in Soul Society."

Azalea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 am

And with just that one astute observation, the female stranger had just pointed out most of the existing flaws in their security formations. Why did they only set one sentry to guard each gate anyway? To lull trespassers into a false sense of security? As a foolhardy statement of challenge? Whatever the reason was, it sounded pretty silly. Especially when anyone with half a brain could easily circumvent all four guards with enough rope and basic climbing skills. No sentry could be everywhere at once. He had a vague impression that there were safeguards around this in place, and reaper foot soldiers responsible for patrolling the perimeter, but couldn't remember which squad they were from. Whichever squad was responsible was going to face the music

He hoped it wasn't Second. Nothing in the job description mentioned anything about watching the wall. Not his problem.

A quick glance at the Gatekeeper confirmed that said individual was still gawping speechless at the pair of them. There would be no help from that quarter. Given the situation, it was probably best to keep an eye on things until the captain arrived.

"Sure, why not?"
Shiroki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azalea on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am

The Empress-in-hiding smiled, moving away from the nearly silent guardian to converse more easily with the youthful Werewolf. She led the Werewolf away from the Gatekeeper and closer to the district's edge.

"If you're willing to pass the time with me, I could suggest a quiet sparring match as a warm-up before I defeat this Kenpachi of your Gotei, or a race if you're not the battle oriented type. Or, possibly, a game of questions if you're the type of fellow whose curiosity is stronger than his body," the woman said, her voice seeming more at ease than when the five-foot tall woman had been looking upwards at the Giant gatewatcher. In fact, she had posture and carry of a woman used to being in charge and not needing to look up at all. Which was, in truth, partially accurate. In Hell, Azalea rarely had to crane her neck when her tails were so much more flexible. But here, wearing the strange Shinigami/Togabito hybrid clothes that hid her torso, lower body and up to her chin, leaving only her hands and face exposed, she felt so different. The golden lines on her hands and face flared dimly as her pulse quickened with the excitement of this all; the prospect of a good fight, and an even better victory against those whom wronged her so long ago.

Azalea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiroki Today at 12:21 am

Intriguing possibilities all, if not for the nagging sense of dread he was getting off this lady. Only it; and the fact that they had been on opposite sides of a battlefield not long before (an eternity wouldn't be long enough) kept the reaper on his guard. She had mentioned three diversions to pass the time, each one set up as a sort of contest: of brawn, of speed, or of...wit? And what was a contest without stakes and prizes?

Brawn was probably out. Assassins didn't 'do' fighting. Straight up murder from the shadows was more his thing, which had no place in a formal duel of equals. He even had trouble wrapping his head around the concept. What was the point of playing fair in combat? When you were forced to fight, you either killed or got killed, and you did whatever it took to make sure it was the former. Limiting oneself to duel restrictions seemed like a one way ticket to the nothingness of the beyond. Also, if he was being entirely honest with himself his chances in a one-on-one encounter with somebody like this wasn't great. It was combined effort that won the day in the end, and even that had been due to some technicality he didn't fully understand. Until he did, and better yet--could reproduce the conditions causing that technicality at will--agreeing to a rematch probably wouldn't be the smartest idea.

Which left speed and wit; neither being much of an improvement. What he could remember from their earlier encounter suggested that the lady was both powerful and fast, which was a pretty unfair combination. Then again, losing a race would probably hurt way less than losing a duel with a cosmic horror so that was still on the table.

As for wit... That seemed the most obvious choice, hands down. Which probably made it the most suspicious. It was disturbing to be read like an open book. Where would the downside lie? Did the stranger intend to learn classified secrets through a game of questions? Would it be set up like a contest of riddles where the loser had to give up some key fact, or would she somehow be good enough to infer things from the answers he was giving away? Thanks to Captain Oshime, Shiro had recently been acquainted with something called 'The Internet' and a certain forum where people told scary stories which had many things in common. Among those things was: Do not play games with supernatural entities who likely know more about trickery than you ever will.

"What kind of a race?"

Shiroki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top