Log in

I forgot my password

Account switch
Switch Accounts


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Top posting users this week

Latest topics
» The Ties That Bind
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 pm by Azalea

» The Emperor's Training (Open)
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 pm by Grym Balthorn

» Intense Training
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 pm by Hanzō Judai

» Character Theme songs
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 pm by Azalea

» Dogs and Deicide (Training Thread)
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am by Shiroki

» Kikuhime 'Cat' Katsuyori (Togabito; Finished)
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:46 am by Shiroki

» Faceclaim Roster
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 am by Cat

» Damnation Threads Timeline
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:47 am by Shiroki

» Back to Basics (Open)
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am by Hanzō Judai


The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:54 am

Scholar was too focused on moving the Zanpakuto spirit from the sword into it's temporary body to be paying attention to what Shiro and the girl were actually doing. Rather than pay attention, her thoughts were turned inwards as she dragged every last scrap of power out of herself and the weapon, putting the Spirit's entirety into the body she molded for her. As she did, her hand on the girl's back gripped the still growing-in fur, long fingers stroking the Spirit's back. With a final pulse of power, Scholar extended impressions of calm and soothing into the girl, her Soul Pull: Flesh not powerful enough to make her peaceful, but heavily implying calm.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 am

Ahhh, that felt nice.

Wait--what? Nice wasn't even in her vocabulary. But credit while credit's due, it was...adequate she supposed. Possibly meriting a stay of execution. And then here was fuzzy butt himself, apparently trying to feel her up too. She wasn't an idiot, she knew what he was doing--probably trying to cancel out her gravity target by topping the hit list. In normal circumstances she'd be mad, but this time it didn't seem...worth the effort? Fuzzy butt deserved points for trying, she supposed. Make that he and the woman both, even though the latter probably didn't know what was going on.

"Didn't... take you for that...kind of...Shinigami, Nii-chan," she twisted to allow him access to underside and sunken belly, grinning at his discomfort. Fuzzy butt could be so cute when he got all worked up. Might as well have some fun.

After all, she could always butcher them later.

avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 am

The high-ranking Fullbringer sighed, opening her eyes slowly. It drained her entire spiritual pressure to create a living Zanpakuto. Too many techniques working together to create something that only lasted for a few hours. Of course, it would last for less the more the Spirit strained her new body. Being alive meant needing to care for one's body.

Now that she wasn't fully absorbed in her technique, she ould look at the girl she made, who lay on her back while the Werewolf was on her. Scholar smiled. Shinigami truly cared for their spirits; she remembered the days she'd embrace Sue just like that.

Scholar's bone hand remained on the Spirit's leg, slowly rising to her feet as she did. The hand could remain touching the girl, keeping the soothing thoughts flowing. Truthfully, Scholar was simply sharing her own calmness with the girl, showing there was no need to be agitated. But if the Zanpakuto chose, she didn't have to feel relaxed.

While the two canine-like beings held cuddled, Scholar moved to her bags, getting out more of her ultra-dense nutrient bars. She opened one and started to eat it, the reishi ligaments of her Oracle connecting her hand to the girl's leg despite the distance.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 am

Huh. It certainly felt odd seeing Inukaze so...mellow. Usually she wasn't the type to waste words; not when there was butt-kicking to be done. Having to prove unquestioned dominance in exchange for every new technique; however small, had made achieving Bankai a right pain in the tail--literally. Thanks to the lady who called herself Oroboros, that wouldn't be happening that day. Whatever mumbo-jumbo she was using seemed up to the task of keeping her sedated for...the next two hours and fifty minutes?

Which meant...

Realization hit him like a load of bricks as Shiroki sat up suddenly, only remembering just in time to hide that abrupt motion as a casual stretch. After all, no point in tipping off his sword to the fact that he had her at an obvious disadvantage; which made this particular point in time an excellent excuse for further developing...

"--Bankai," the tonfa's wooden grip met his own. Like other Shinigami, he wasn't unfamiliar with the idea of materializing one's sword spirit to understand its capabilities. Had even taken to doing it once a week since the Captain's unexplained disappearance because there wasn't anything better to do. But where others usually did Jinzen or sparred in their inner worlds, his relationship with Inukaze tended to be more...intense. Yes, she had allowed him Bankai--but grudgingly, making it no secret that there were hidden depths yet remaining to be uncovered. Since that day, Shiroki had been bent on discovering those depths a little at a time; with varying degrees of success. This time, however, with Inukaze apparently doped up to high heaven, circumstances weighed heavily in his favor.

He might actually learn them ALL. He supposed it was technically cheating, Shinigami weren't supposed to resort to such tactics in forcing zanpakuto into submission, but then again opportunities only came once. And so he waited for the familiar spike in power which accompanied Bankai; for it to overwhelm his being.

And waited.

"Nope," a familiar voice commented lazily. "Ain't gonna be that easy, fuzzy-butt. You want somethin? Gotta have to EARN it. 'Sides," fully-formed eyes shifted to them now. "I already AM in Bankai, idiot."

"Meinu no tate," Shiroki felt like kicking himself for a fool. Now that she had mentioned it, it was hard to see how he could've missed that detail in the first place. The power levels alone should've been pretty obvious even without the usual guardian manifestation. What had become of it, though? Wasn't it the main representation after all?
There was a reason for it being named Meinu no tate: Shield of the she-wolf.

"That old hag?" Inukaze's laugh resembled claws on chalkboard. "Meinu's just a part of me, baka.
The part I've allowed you to use. And you didn't even say thank you."


"I know your Seasons and Escapes," Shiroki braced himself for the expected burden of suffocating pressure which threatened to consume them. "Seascape: everyone in range gets burdened with spiritual pressure that makes it hard to breathe and discourages will to act," The skies cleared once more, revealing indistinct shapes in the wilderness. "And Landscape: Meinu splits from one wolf to many, a pack working together to trap prey," His eyes darted to the Oroboros for an instant, decidedly uneasy. She was close enough to be able to listen in on their conversation whilst they spoke aloud. Already more information had been shared than he was comfortable with. There yet remained one other 'Scape' that was known to him, but perhaps it was best to keep that detail to himself.

"There's one more Scape you haven't seen, fuzzy-butt," Despite the sunlight still filtering through the trees, the forest around them was beginning to take on a sinister air. "But you sure you want to? In this game--"

"--we play for keeps," Shiro retrieved the now-useless hunk of wood his tonfa had become and stuck it back in its sheath. "I know. Tag?"

"Tag," agreed Inukaze, exposing a jawful of fangs. Without warning, she turned to regard the third member of their party; a silent observer in their exchange thus far. "And how about you, human-san? Wouldja like to play as well? After all--" her smile grew wider, distorting to unnatural proportions.

"The more the merrier,"

avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Scholar scarfed down the rest of her snack, wiping her mouth on her wrist. "A game? Hm... I suppose a nice game of tag would be kinda fun after all this. Could you give me a little while to get changed, first?"

Without waiting for a response, Scholar withdrew her Oracle's hand from the spirit's leg, breaking the girl's connection to Scholar's own inner peace. And, in just a moment, the Fullbringer disappeared behind some trees, taking her bag and clothes with her.



Out of sight, and several minutes walk away, Scholar stretched and began to set her things in a nice, dry location. The Dragon cracked her neck, then her fingers, rolled her ankles and rotated her shoulders. Then, she lay herself on the ground, turning her awareness inward.

Strictly speaking, the process of turning into her 'true' form safely would take several hours. But, that was mostly due to the Ouroboros' humongous size and that rushing the change brought a great deal of pain.

But, one could live with pain.

Scholar's body shook and shake, her bones reforming, her skin turning rigid, changing color and shape as her legs fused together. Her arms retracted into her shoulders, her Oracle being drawn inside her body, making her harder still and greatly increasing the amount of bone she had to work with.

She let out a loud cry of pain and agony which cut off abruptly as her vocal cords momentarily vanished. Ten minutes after she had left, Scholar the Fullbringer was gone. Instead, Ouroboros the Dragon lay on her stomach, all of ten feet long and two thick. Where her shoulders had been was neck, several in fact. Her true head was the center-most head, the others merely "limbs," re-purposed bone and flesh and keratin. From her mouth, venom dripped along long fangs, re-purposed stomach acid.

She slithered faster than her human form could walk, slithering back the way she'd came. She poked a head back into the clearing, her snake-head blinking at the Werewolves. "We're still playing, correct?" The hydra asked in a voice similar to, but much deeper, than Scholar's had been.

Ouroboros:



_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:02 pm

He eyed the serpentine monster that emerged with equal parts interest and alarm. This was a situation where you wanted to be smaller; not bigger. "Are you sure about that?" the question's tone implied it was about more than just choice of form, but also her involvement in this activity. "Inukaze does not play nice. She--"

"Ah-ah-ah-ah fluffy--no cheating," that individual in question waggled an incriminating claw. "Well. No more than you usually do, anyway,"

Oh well--worth a shot.

Inukaze was standing now, a red-rimmed circle extending out from her location to encompass everything in an 8-foot radius around her. Shiroki let it envelop him, explaining for the Dragon's benefit. "That's Inu's game-ring; it marks everyone in its range as a player. Those outside won't be affected by the scene once it starts, but they won't be able to help marked players either," he shot the human a sideways glance. "That means you can still sit this one out if you want, just by staying out of the ring,"

"But that's no fun, is it? Stop scaring away our friends,
Nii-chan,"
the play-zone spread slowly further towards the lurking dragon. If it so chose, there would still be ample time to opt out. "Have you played hide-and-seek before, human-san?"

Shapes began to emerge from the nearby wilderness once more--indistinct shadows with fangs and claws that seemed to lurk at the corners of the eye. A couple even phased through the Ouroboros with no ill-effects. Shiro himself took care to keep his distance--having been already marked as a target, he would not be as lucky. "Look at them all you want, they're harmless," he informed the Dragon. "As long as you stay outside the ring,"

"As long as you stay outside the ring," agreed Inukaze now, no longer smiling. "This is the hidden technique of my Bankai, human-san: A technique I refused my wielder for more than a century. Nii-chan was persistent. He tried many times, but failed to be worthy then. He may fail to be worthy now. And for all his pig-headedness, he understands the risk as I do:
sometimes when you fail, there is NO second chance,"
She spread both arms wide to draw their attention to a vole scurrying through the undergrowth nearby. "The game has begun, and not even I can stop it once the circle reaches its limits. Everything inside I name as my quarry. And my quarry--" the girl clenched her paw in a fist; shadows swirled, then they heard an agonizing squeal as an unfortunate vole twitched and fell still. "--Dies. No weapon or power exists that can counter my hunters directly. No Kido, reiatsu, or Bankai--however mighty they may be. My pack does not die, surrender, or tire. It will continue hunting its prey to the last survivor. And that is our end-condition: The last one standing," she curtseyed to them both. "Wins,"

"Not this time," Shiro risked a glance at the Dragon to see how she was taking all this. Having to compete against another player might throw random distractions into the mix. The outcome was yet uncertain.

"Not this time," agreed Inukaze cheerfully. "Thanks to human-san there, this time the game has a time limit. Count y'self lucky, fuzzy-butt. You don't have to be the last one standing after all. You just have to escape us for...was that two and a half hours?"

"Two hours fifteen minutes and you know it,"

"Two hours fifteen then," Inukaze conceded. "If time runs out, this technique is yours. We'll be starting soon if you still want to join us, human-san. And of course, I'm It,"

The red circle continued to grow. "I'm ALWAYS It."
avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Ouroboros nodded half of her heads, the rest looking around as she moved to join the others. "So, I simply have to not be touched by you,
or any of your wolf-kin. Sounds simple enough, though I'm curious to see how well I manage. Its been a long time since I used my true form,
" Ouroboros said.

The Dragon lifted several of her heads, then they drooped again. It wasn't clear, but it seemed to be a shrug. "And I wouldn't be so certain that nothing can stop them, Miss Meinu no tate. Nothing is truly unstoppable or intangible, if you have the correct conditions. And speaking of," the hydra drawled, its ten-feet long body shaking and shivering. With a noise not unlike breaking glass, numerous scales were shed and her body actually seemed smaller, coiled in a pile of cast-off scales. The energy that had radiated from her suddenly vanished and she sighed, her heads lifting up and tongues flicking out past her maws.

"That feels much better, actually."

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm

"What she means is that it's not a question of power," Now that they were all neck deep in it, Shiro figured it was best to explain. "Those 'figures' as you call 'em aren't really 'there' in the conventional sense. If you weren't in this circle, they wouldn't exist. Just shadows an' tricks of the light. They're forces of nature. Like..." the Shinigami cast about for some modern comparison. "Anti-matter, y'know? Anti-matter kills you, however strong or powerful or whatever--if you touch it, you die. Simple as that. It's not a poison to be resisted, or a sword that can be blocked if you make your skin hard enough with spiritual pressure or somethin'. Ah, screw this--" he scooped up a quantity of mud.

"Bakudo #77: Tenteikuura,"

"Alright, I'll keep this link up so we can speak plainly.
Won't do to talk aloud, not when things get started. Not if she's using Skyscape,"
Dammit, he'd wanted to leave that particular ability secret, but there was no other choice. "In Skyscape, the air itself extends the senses--carries sounds to her ears and lets her coordinate her side at range. Anything we say between ourselves might be overheard,"

"Whispering now? Ruuuude!" the spirit pouted. "Thirty. Twenty-Nine. Twenty-Eight,"

"Seeker's started the countdown, we best get hiding," Shiro took off using flash-step, not turning to see if the Dragon followed him or not. With Tenteikuura in place, it wouldn't have to. They could hide out separately and remain in contact with each other through the kido link, if she preferred. While aiming to put as much distance between himself and Inukaze as possible, he continued outlining the basics of this scenario. Not only for the Ouroboros, but also for himself as well, to refresh what he had discovered from past attempts.

"Right, bottom line: don't let those black jerks get near you, they kill with a touch. We're not totally helpless though.
We still have spirit energy and our abilities, so use 'em as much as you like. Just don't count on 'em working directly on the pack. And speakin' of the pack, they've got limitations too,"


He searched his memory for the facts. "They're air originally, but act 'solid' for as long as the game's continuing. That means they can be outrun if you're fast enough, and that hiding also works for a while...until they bust through. They're also pretty...dumb," he winced. "Easily distracted by stuff like noises or whatever. Hiding's usually the best plan, but you can't stay in one spot because they're drawn to our location--got to keep movin' from place to place and keep 'em distracted until time's up,"

Or until one of them gets caught and dies. But best not to think about that. He had always avoided playing this game...and with good reason since chances of survival were iffy at best. Hopefully the addition of a time limit would mean that nobody was going to end up killed. This time.

"Hado #4: Byakurai," Blowing a hole in a hollowed tree stump, the Shinigami darted inside and concentrated on suppressing spiritual pressure as much as he could. Any moment now...

And right on cue, Inu's Skyscape-assisted voice whispered in his ear. She wasn't there in person of course, only using the winds to carry her voice to them. Didn't actually have to move, with that shadow pack doing all the work for her. But the effect was pretty startling, even for one actively expecting it. Using Skyscape to freak out suspects on the run had been fun from his perspective. Being on the receiving end...not so much. He wished the Ouroboros luck, wherever she was. They both would be needing it before long.

"Ready or not, here I come..."
avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 pm

Ourorobos slithered off into the forest, darting into the undergrowth. The snake-creature kept moving until she found a nice, gnarled patch of roots and dove under. Her multiple heads darted forward and back, digging a hole underground. With her speed, she was quickly coiled up in a nest of her own making, slowly changing her body to become transparent and odorless. The first part was simple, but the second relied on changing her body chemistry and limiting her bodily secretions, and therefore would take time.

Which, the Dragon thought, she'd have plenty of since there was only one way into her nest and she constantly had eyes on the hole. But, she didn't speak to the Shinigami or the spirit when she heard their voices. She'd sit. And wait.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 am

"Two. One. Zero." And with that, the hunters were off. Almost as soon as the last syllable trailed into the distance.

All but her. Huh. That was interesting. Usually when she resorted to this technique in the Inner World, she herself would dissolve and be part of the pack. Perhaps this was some lingering effect of human-san's mumbo-jumbo? She had promised that this physical form would remain until the time was up.

If nothing else, remaining physical presented Inukaze with an entirely new perspective; existing as two states--herself and the pack--at the same time. Was this what her wielder would feel if he acquired this knowledge? That possibility made her envious enough to ensure he work for the privilege.

"Ready or not, here we come," Using Skyscape to tip the pair off had been wholly unnecessary perhaps, but definitely a great deal of fun. And if one of them got panicked or startled enough to give their position away...so much the better. Even now the hunters would be closing in, automatically drawn to their quarry's general location like bees to honey. From there, it would be a direct matter of searching every hiding spot in the vicinity until the target was discovered and forced to flee for new shelter. And so this cat-and-mouse game would continue, victims alternating between hiding and running for their lives until the inevitable conclusion. It would draw to a close sooner or later. One would succumb, and one would emerge the victor. As things should be.

She remembered the first time she allowed Nii-chan a brief glimpse at Preyscape and its possibilities. That had been...what? Two centuries ago? Three? Fuzzy-butt had been an Academy student back then. A promising one, admittedly--but only a student nonetheless. They had gone on a field trip to the world of the living, and been ambushed by some unexpected Hollow infestation. After getting tired of seeing furball get slapped around like a ball of yarn, Inukaze had decided to step in. Together they had activated Preyscape, and she had slaughtered them all.

On hindsight, that had probably been a risky maneuver. There had been no guarantee that Nii-chan would have been able to outrun those Hollows for one. If he had been just a bit slower it could have ended very differently, with her having caused the death of her wielder instead of the Hollows. Sure, things had gone well--but mostly due to dumb luck. And while Inukaze grudgingly admitted that fuzz-butt had indeed come a long way since then, was he ready to handle that kind of ability? She hadn't been sure, and neither had he. They had danced around the issue many times, but never quite dared push any further. This time, however, with the added 'safeguard' of a time limit; Nii-chan might actually have a fighting chance. Perhaps even win. Gotta hand it to fuzzy; he really knew how to make use of opportunities.

Pity they didn't get to use this technique often. Bound by the connection linking her to the pack, she saw everything. Heard everything. Sensed everything. Felt a tingle as they drew within range of the prey. "Where could you be hiding I wonder? Up a tree?
IN a tree?"
Aha! "Gotcha!"

She willed her hunters towards that location in question, a maneuver that left her free to go off and search for human-san herself. Or was it Dragon-san, the way she was currently? Having a physical body made this a whole lot easier, apparently. Usually, Inukaze would've been forced to hunt her targets one at a time, the pack she was a part of acting as a single unit. Not being able to split up the pack and track down all targets simultaneously had been part of the rules, it gave the victims a fair chance at success. This time, however, her physical body would allow her to do just that.

"C'mon out, human-san. C'mon out and play,"

- ------

Already could be heard the sound of footsteps. Claws through the leaves.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

He'd known Inukaze would be fast. But not this fast. It seemed they'd honed in on him as the closer; or more accessible target. That meant that his Dragon rival was either out of range or doing a better job of staying below notice than he was. Damn it to Hueco Mundo. Where had he gone wrong?

A rhetorical question. He knew where he'd gone wrong. In an actual encounter with real enemies, he wouldn't have hid. Instead, the way to win was to stick close to the enemy, making sure to only outpace them by a margin...and in doing so make their 'loss' an eventual conclusion when the pack caught up to them both. He'd been training shunpo for just this purpose, after all.

But therein lay the problem. This wasn't a real encounter. And as potentially dangerous as this enhanced human turned out to be, she hadn't done anything to justify him wanting her dead. He knew exactly what he should be doing: uncovering the Ouroboros location as soon as possible and flushing her out as a distraction for the pack to chase--thereby saving his own skin. Only problem was he couldn't actually bring himself to do it...yet.

Of all the time to be burdened with morals. This was distressing.

Not half as distressing as the hot breath and collected snarls he could hear snuffling around his refuge, however. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Should've climbed a tree and gotten to high ground instead of getting cooped up in this death-trap. At least it would've taken the hunters time to climb up after him. The way he was now, it would only be a matter of seconds before...

Shiroki's entire world rocked about him, splinters flying this way and that as enthusiastic claws scrabbled at tree bark, widening the hole they had made, clumsily forcing themselves in. Right.

"Bakudo 21: Sekienton. Hado 31: Shakkaho!"

No time for subtlety or finesse. He shot the fireball point blank, darting through the opening it made on the other end of the tree and turning that headlong fall into a roll to snuff out the flames on fur and clothing. Then he resorted to shunpo, rushing ahead without a direction for the time being without bothering to look back. Only intent on placing as much distance between him and those hunters as possible.

He wondered if his rival was having an easier time.
avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm

The Dragon nestled herself deep in the underground room. Around her were cast off scales, making herself lighter still. Her main head watched the narrow hole she had slithered through. The Fullbringer had tweaked the hormones her body possessed to eliminate her scent, though she couldn't rid the nest or the hole itself, but she hoped it wouldn't matter.

She'd feel any disturbances to the tunnel leading to the surface, several feet above her. She hoped nothing collapsed the hole, though, for unlike some snakes, she couldn't breathe air trapped in the dirt.

But, even so, she needed to be careful to get her plan to work, so she set about digging more underground "rooms" connected by tunnels. Fast work, nothing fancy, but it'd still occupy her for at least ten minutes down here. Leaving only two hours roughly left.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:28 pm

=1:29:58=

One hour, thirty minutes. Give or take.

This was taking way too long.

Underground. Human-san was hiding underground. It wasn't that far a leap to this conclusion, giving the fact that her locator link was pinging like crazy without any apparent indication of the quarry in sight. That is, no apparent indication apart from the little pile of upturned earth around a hole not far away.

Stupid forest and its stupid soft soil. There would be no way she could fit her physical self down there without widening the entrance. The hunters were a different matter entirely; since their sizes and manifestation could be...variable...depending on the target. But those hunters were currently engaged haring after fuzzy-butt, and would take time to respond to her call.

Where was fuzzy anyway? Choosing a pursuer at random, she linked her senses to it.

Big mistake. All she got for her troubles was a face-full of red smog, the link between them strong enough to almost make her physical shell gag in sympathy. The hunter would be unaffected of course--apart from being dazed and disoriented for a few moments it lacked the capacity to be harmed. And yet those few moments would be all her wielder needed to get away.

Damn it all. No use hanging about in that location then. If he had the least amount of sense, Fuzzy-butt would be long gone. They would have to pick up the trail again from scratch. And what was that human saying--a bird in the hand...?

Or rather, a snake in the hole, if you prefer. She sent a mental command that would draw the pack in...whilst at the same time making enough commotion to herd and corral all other marked targets in range.

Whoever said their game only had two players after all? It had been implied for sure; but she hadn't come out and said it. And hadn't she even killed that vole right in front of them as a hint and demonstration? That alone would've suggested to her wielder at least that there were more 'players' than could be accounted for at first glance: Voles. Mice. Insects...Tiny organisms caught in her play radius that had thus far been hardly worth her time or notice--

--Until now.

Animals were not sentient of course. But every creature knew instinctively when it was being hunted and would do its utmost to avoid becoming prey. Even now the beasts would be sending those animals into a blind panic, boxing and herding their frenzied stampede right where she wanted them. The slowest would be picked off and snuffed of course, but that might still leave a good handful of five or so to send scurrying down human-san's little rathole in search of safety...and stirring up the nest in the process. In such a state those animals would be in, they were liable to bite and scratch any obstacle that stood between them and perceived safety underground. Not that human-san couldn't handle herself of course, but the resulting commotion might be enough to flush her out onto the surface.

When that happened, she would be waiting.

--

From his perch half hidden by leaves of a convenient tree, the reaper watched his pursuers peel off in satisfaction. They hadn't found him despite their best efforts, and Inukaze had apparently grown bored enough to call off the chase.

What did I say? Dumb as rocks.

That gave him some breathing room, at least. Which probably meant the heat was on the other player for the time being. Shiro wondered if he should help. Then he wondered why he was wondering that in the first place. The human was obviously capable. Easily Captain level; judging from their last duel. She could handle herself. But against supernatural shadow things that could not be killed?

Where the heck was this newfound morality coming from? His conscience had never troubled him before. Most unusual. And worrying enough that he resolved to check it out at next available notice.

All that would have to wait. Extending his senses far enough would give him some idea of where the action was. Then perhaps he could do something. Knowing his luck, if he hung around here waiting the Dragon would somehow get away and lead the chase back to him again...at the very least it would be wise to keep tabs and be alerted to that when it happened.

His gaze fell upon the zanpakuto hitherto forgotten in his hand. And maybe Inukaze would be so distracted by the impending kill that she wouldn't notice him creeping up to force its hilt back into her grip...effectively ending whatever magic had granted her physical form along with the game. Assuming what Ouroboros said earlier was true.

Oh what the heck. Already they were assuming many things. Couldn't hurt to add more to the list. So he followed
avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Ouroboros shrugged, shifting position again. Her notebook was in one of the dragon's mouths, carefully held between sharp fangs. The Dragon growled throatily as she acted the first stage of her Fullbring, the notebook mutating to become her Tome of Truth. Deep underground, her spiritual pressure briefly flared and she cursed before suppressing it again.

Silent, orderless, completely see-through, and now with her Spiritual Pressure hidden again, she began to move to one of the side tunnels she had carved, slithering her way back towards the surface.

The "room" she stopped inside was roughly the same as the first nest, but this one had a tunnel pointing back towards the entrance to the first hole. It was wide enough to see through, but too small for herself to fit through.

With only two feet of dirt separating her from the forest floor, she was relatively close to the surface. But, she was watching the tunnel, her eyes unblinking as she occasionally caught glimpses of the Werewolf girl.

She cursed mentally that she'd been found so quickly. But, the mouth holding her Tome was making her incredibly uncomfortable. The tome was recording everything, even that which Ouroboros' surface consciousness could not perceive. She didn't know what the girl was doing, but she was patient. This was a game of two hunters, predators both waiting to see what the other would do.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:17 pm

=1: 10: 00=

Nothing stirred, not a blade of grass. It would seem that the initial gambit had failed. Likely, all that effort of herding distractions down that little rat hole had done little more than supply a certain snake with meals on wheels.

Idly petting the nearest shadow monstrosity, Inukaze considered her next move. Shrink the pack to send it down that rabbit hole? Set it to digging at the closest corresponding location? Sic them on fuzzy-butt while she handled the digging herself? One of the limitations of Preyscape was that her entire troop acted as a unit. They could not undertake simultaneous actions too far away from the main body. So there was no option of splitting the pack and having each half stalk a target to exhaustion. More's the pity.

A second blip registered itself in her awareness. So her wielder had finally decided to come out of hiding, had he? That would simplify things considerably. Wrenching out one of the hooked blades impaled in her flesh by its accompanying chain, she set it to spinning and smiled as it took on the familiar serrated shape of shikai release. As fun as it would be to prolong the chase, the sensations of owning a physical body was enough reminder of a time limit she shouldn't ignore. The prey wouldn't be able to continue hiding underground if there wasn't an underground anymore...

Gripping the hilt, the spirit moved to stab the ground below her feet.

"Fetch,"

-----

"Fetch!"

To say that Inukaze appeared surprised would be an understatement. Given that his sword's attitudes displayed a limited range from sadism to indifference, the look of bafflement on her features as she took in the identical blade entangled around her own was priceless. Certainly one for the scrapbook album.

She didn't remain so for long, however--instinctively activating Recall a heartbeat before he did the same. The air stilled. Both blades shook. And absolutely nothing happened.

Not surprising, since this was the proverbial irresistible force meeting immovable object scenario: two Recalls acting simultaneously on each other, each trying to draw itself to its current location. They naturally cancelled each other out.

Then Inukaze assumed her usual psychotic grin, sending the entire pack in the general direction of her opponent with a careless sweep of an arm. No time to dodge or flee, not in this case. Claws descended. Maws gaped wide...

Only to meet empty air as the reiatsu-reflection of Shiroki melted away on contact like a summer's breeze, revealing another identical Shiroki a distance away. She sent her pack at that one too, only to witness the same. And the next. And the next one after that. An exercise in futility.

-albeit one that allowed the Shinigami to creep up within striking range. It had been exhausting; not to mention spiritually draining to stake out reiatsu-illusions in a breadcrumb trail leading away from their general location, but if that meant luring the Pack from the immediate vicinity it would be worth it. And he had no doubt they would work, of course. Preyscape would not be fooled by speed clones or kido deception, but this was much more. Each reflection he made this way was essentially his own self--raw reiatsu not merely indistinguishable from the original but THE original itself. No deception at all.

It did leave him with little to work with, unfortunately. But that would not matter at all. Not once he got within range.

"Bakudo 1: Sai," A higher level Bakudo would've been better of course, but the incantation required to kickstart it would've given him away. That...as well as the fact that he didn't know if he even had enough energy to cast anything higher right now--especially not after spending so much time on the reiatsu decoys. He barely had enough left to flash-step now, resorting to sprinting instead as soon as he saw her arms begin to lock behind her back

Only one chance. She'll overpower the binding in moments. Can't screw up.

Holding Inukaze's wooden hilt tight--it had reverted from Shikai to sealed state with the last of his energy--the Shinigami forced it down upon a wildly flexing paw. "Tag, Nee-san. You're It."

Everything seemed to happen simultaneously, forcing Shiroki to squash both ears shut against the godawful explosion of sound created as the Pack was drawn back from whence it came. Inukaze's form itself began to warp violently, essences returning to its wooden shell. And with it was joined the requisite surge of power once his paw closed around its hilt; soon augmented by that from the other reiatsu-reflections reabsorbed one by one: power undeniably his own.

The sudden spike of reiatsu was too immediate to interpose any semblance of control over, causing Shiro to wince at seeing its aura pierce the heavens like a beacon capable of alerting any stray Hollows to their general location. It would be another moment or two before he succeeded in consciously suppressing its presence, an undertaking that left him content to stay flat on his back on the ground. Where there was grass: Soft...comfy grass.

He had done it. Preyscape was his.

"For now," agreed a disembodied voice at the back of his consciousness. Inukaze spoke no further, their linked consciousness an open window to assorted emotions: satisfaction, as well as a surprising large amount of pride. But the greatest sensation there was that of patient resolve--determination conveying a mute reminder not to become complacent in victory...not if he didn't want their positions to be reversed again in the near future. Inukaze did not subscribe to the usual mentor-student relationship linking Shinigami and zanpakuto--as far as she was concerned; they were both students, each with much to learn from the other...nor would she shirk what she saw as her sacred duty to overthrow her wielder if he failed to meet her expectations.

And Shiroki would have it no other way.
avatar
Shiroki
Moderator

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 190

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Ouroboros sighed and closed her eyes. There was nothing left to see and she was very tired. But, there was more to do, she was afraid to remind herself.

Sealing her powers, the hydra tunneled her way back to her bags and started the six hour long process reverting to human form, the change far slower than previously as she hid herself and her belongings under dense vegetation.

The Dragon, amid gasps of pain, smiled to herself. The Werewolf from Soul Society... Yes, she would remember this one. Just wait, little one, until we meet again.

Thread Closed

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar
Lieutenant

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 23
Posts : 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by ▲Zlaana New'wtonianna▼ on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 am

My opinion is that Pup should get increases in Spirit Combat, Hoho, Hado and Bakudo, while Scholar should receive increases in Unarmed, Armed Combat and Spirit Combat

_________________
avatar
▲Zlaana New'wtonianna▼
Unseated Officer

Posts : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum