Log in

I forgot my password

Account switch
Switch Accounts


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» It's a Party! (Invite only)
Yesterday at 10:03 pm by Non-Player Character

» From Kagamino with Love (Open)
Yesterday at 8:21 am by Echidna

» Infestation Training thread (Open/Hanzo)
Yesterday at 7:56 am by Hanzō Judai

» The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)
Yesterday at 7:21 am by The Wandering Scholar

» The Emperor's Will (Open)
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm by Nocens

» 1732, Special Lectures (Open)
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:46 pm by Shiroki

» Madam Echidna (Fullbringer)
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm by Echidna

» The Emperor and the Bet (OPEN TO ANYONE)
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:30 am by Sabiruchi Tsuyosa

» Faceclaim Roster
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 am by The Wandering Scholar


The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:33 pm

The forest was quiet other than Jordan's labored breathing. She had been berated by Phoenix for being out of shape, so here she was in the middle of the forest, working out her body. Her extremely long white hair was lank with exhaustion, damp with sweat and water from the ground. She was wearing a suit while she worked out, or rather, had been, discarding one piece at a time during the day until she was dressed only in her pants and had her chest-wrapping on, flattening her chest significantly. Her arms were bare, and her scarred face was tight with concentration. Her bags hung from a tree branch, the remains of her suit under the same tree, off the ground on an upraised tree-root. For all intents, she still looked like a guy unless someone noticed the slight bulge to her chest under the tight chest binding.

All of her muscles screamed in protest as she sat up. Everything hurt. Why couldn't she just go drinking instead? There's plenty she could be doing that involved drinking that would be way more fun than this. She had to admit to herself though, she felt a bit better now about herself. Now she had to work on the rest of her skills. Slowly coming up to her feet, Jordan closed her eyes and let her spiritual pressure rise. Yes, it would alert everyone in the area of where she was, but it was the only way to use Fullpull. Without her object of affinity, though, she was limited to her Soul pull- Earth, Soul Pull- Water and, Soul Pull- Metal techniques.

Without moving her body, or opening her eyes, Jordan started to pull on the soul of all the water around, drawing it from the surface of the ground, from the leaves and grass, off her own body, gathering the moisture into a slowly growing puddle at her feet, save for a small dry circle she stood upon.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:53 am

Here was something you wouldn't happen to see every day.

The emergence of an unusually potent quality of spiritual energy had piqued his curiosity enough to override any lingering remnants of caution that Shiroki would feel ordinarily. In the end it was interesting enough to merit investigating; an inky, sandy presence that for some reason conjured images of words and...newsprint? Neither shinigami nor hollow or quincy, it felt strange and different; yet somehow familiar to something. He just had to find out what.

And so ignoring his better judgment, Shiroki released his grip on the carefully wrapped bundle dangling from his gigai's jaws and deposited it safely by a convenient tree. He wasn't on official assignment or anything, but had been able to get some time off from his squad and petition Captain Oshime of 12th to let him test out one of her experimental gigai models on his casual expedition--provided he do her a favor by running a few errands on her behalf. At first, he had been somewhat put off that the prototype gigai turned out to be shaped as a dog instead of human (not even one that shared his jackal traits--instead resembling some common STRAY), but everything that had happened since made it too small a thing to complain about.

What had followed was an experience in itself. Shiroki had no idea how the living world had changed so much in what was to him only a short period of absence. Instead of modest structures and fields, tall buildings dominated the region, some reaching nearly as high as the Soul Queen's palace. The sights, the sounds and especially the SMELLS had all but overwhelmed him. In the first hour of his holiday alone, he had already managed to tip over a few garbage cans, gorge himself silly on stale burgers in the trash, chase a cat or two AND be chased in turn by some homicidal human claiming to be something called a 'dogcatcher'.

In other words, he was already having the time of his life and almost forgot to stop by that odd giant building Captain Oshime claimed was called a 'mall' to pick up something called CDs. The Captain had said they would be fragile and easily broken, so he had wrapped them up carefully to carry them in his gigai's jaws without harming them. All that was forgotten by what he saw now: a man...no; he corrected himself, a woman (he could tell by the scent) who seemed to be engaged in some meditative exercises in a quiet open clearing.

As far as he could tell, this stranger was the source of that spiritual pressure which had led him here. Soon enough he saw why--although she never moved; somehow water was being drawn directly to her location, pooling around her feet yet leaving the section where she stood on completely dry. The sheer amount of energy control it must have taken to pull off a feat such as this had him draw in a breath of surprise. Were all humans capable of such feats? If so, things had certainly changed in the few centuries since he had been alive.

Watching from a safe distance, Shiroki felt torn; conflicted. Part of him wanted to leave cover to see more; the spot where he was lurking wasn't close enough to get a better view. The more prudent part of him counselled caution: if this human had been capable of manipulating energy on such a level, who was to say she wouldn't be able to detect his presence if he came any closer? And who knew if she would turn out to be friend or foe? Really, the wisest course of action would be to slip away before she noticed; return to Seireitei and submit a full report about what he had just witnessed.

But the coherent, logical thinking part of his brain didn't seem to be making many convincing arguments that day. The lure of curiosity was too much to be denied. If this human stranger could do this much to water; what ELSE could she probably do? Wouldn't it be worth it to find out? Then he could submit a MORE informed report; one that might even earn approval from the Captain of Division 13 despite her high standards. Something like that would definitely round out an already perfect day.

So he made up his mind, stepping out of the bushes for a closer look and hoping he wouldn't regret his decision.
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:59 am

The Scholar prided herself on her Soul Manipulation abilities; unlike most Fullbringers who focused solely on improving their unique Fullbrings, Jordan's had no need to be improved upon and so she spent her time learning how to manipulate the world around her in ways some Fullbringers could only dream of.

But for now... She returned to the basics. The growing pool of water was several inches deep, and a few feet across. She had been careful when drawing upon the water, however, ensuring enough remained in the ground to nourish the foliage. With her eyes still closed, the water began to tremble, slowly rising up in a muddy, thin stream behind her. The dirty water rose slowly, and as it did, it became clearer, the sediment in the water falling from the narrow, coiling rope of water until all that remained was the purest, cleanest water, free of any contaminants. The coiling water rose up, curling around the Scholar's half-dressed body before the stream met her lips. She drank from it as it passed, the water she didn't drink returning to the puddle around her.

She could feel a presence nearby, but it was neither human nor Hollow. It was small, and when she opened her eyes, she saw a stray entering the small clearing. She smiled, pushing her long, messy bangs away from her face so the dog could see her. Animals were nice; they didn't judge you for drinking, or waking up screaming in the night, and they certainly didn't judge based on appearances.

Scholar made a few low whistles and cooing noises, calling the stray closer. "Are you thirsty, boy? Come here, come here and I'll get you something clean to drink." Even as she said it, she exerted her Spiritual pressure again, it briefly flashing to the strength of a low seated Officer before returning to its previous level. It took more power to use Soul Pull- Earth at the same time as Water, but in that moment, all the grit and dirtiness in the pool of water shifted, collecting in a pile on the side farthest from the stray, leaving a pool of pure drinking water around Jordan that slowly crept closer to the dog.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Now that was impressive. No questions there. Shiro had seen elements being manipulated before...heck, his own zanpakuto technically qualified as an element-release. But nobody had a sword capable of controlling more than one element at a time. It just wasn't done. As far as he knew, what this person had pulled off would be impossible for a Shinigami, much less a human.

That only made him want to find out what more she could do. And Ojii-san had always said it was rude to refuse an invitation.

Shiro had his gigai loll its tongue and bark its thanks before partaking, idly considering what to do next. That the young lady was very powerful was evident enough; but would she be spiritually aware enough to sense him without the gigai? That was the million dollar question, wasn't it? And if it turned out she could, where would she fit in the Hollow-Shinigami-Quincy equation? Was the Gotei aware of her existence? Would making contact tip their hand, or give anything away?

He made up his mind where he assumed the human was losing interest. He would come without his gigai, introduce himself as a Shinigami representative and; assuming she could see him, conduct a public service by informing her of Karakura's unusually high particle density and its tendency to draw in Hollows by the legion. Then he could wait for her reaction, to see if that information was ringing any bells. If the humans knew what Hollows were, she would likely be someone he could talk-shop with and try to find out what organization she was affliated to. If not, his presence there as a Shinigami would be needed soon enough to defend a non-combatant from any Hollows drawn to her display of power.

Waiting for when he judged the human was losing interest in him (harder than it seems to tell), Shiroki let himself stroll casually out of sight and into a convenient bush to discard his gigai. The last thing he wanted was for that dogcatcher person to come by and take it while he was doing things elsewhere. He transferred his bundle of CDs to that same bush, just to be safe. Thieves seeking opportunities would always be a constant; no matter how much the Living world advanced.

Once out of sight, Shiroki bopped himself with the soul separator built into a bangle he wore on his forelimb ankle. Captain Oshime had wanted to put the device into a collar but he had convinced her otherwise; having no fingers in this state to activate it. He left the unconscious gigai behind (one good thing about animal gigais is not having to bother with mod souls--people seeing an unmoving dog were more likely to leave it be. Whereas people coming across a motionless human wouldn't be quite as reasonable).

Letting his spiritual presence telegraph his location, Shiroki returned to the clearing. Hiding his trace completely would have made people think he was up to something; so he made no attempt to do so--only dampening his pressure to a level consistent with an unseated officer from the Gotei squads. No reason to reveal who he really was, after all.

He launched into his spiel, relieved he had worn his full uniform this time and not the just the parts he considered most convenient. That could lend a better illusion of credibility, if nothing else. "Good day, ma'am. Sorry to intrude on your privacy, but as a Shinigami representative of the Karakura sector I could not help but notice the sudden increase in spiritual pressure around this area. It is our routine to investigate such things, in case of any potential Hollow threat. For some reason Karakura draws those things like moths to a flame. Are you needing any assistance?"

avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:19 pm

While the dog was drinking, Scholar smiled. She returned to her practice, separating the puddle of water into two parts, one for the dog to drink from, the other that she was causing to move and flow, a tentacle of water that she was trying to control without moving. She focused on the rope of water, letting the dog drink in peace, though her eyes remained open.

She frowned as the dog wandered off. She'd hoped to pet it... Oh well. With the dog gone, she exerted herself further, causing a length of soil to rise up alongside the water, giving her two eight foot long tentacles under her control, one of water, one of earth. Focusing on manipulating the soul of earth and water at the same time, she stretched the rock towards the tree, crafting the end into long, slim fingers that searched through her bag, returning a very old, worn leather notebook to her.

As she brought the book back to herself, she felt a sudden presence nearby. Definitely a Shinigami; she could tell. She'd met enough, or rather, observed enough, to know the difference. But as the Shinigami came into the clearing, the two tentacles were arched up over her shoulders, poised for rapid defense or attack. She heard him speak, and quickly wrote him off, the tentacles dropping down towards her waist. A Werewolf Shinigami... Daedalus had captured Werewolves in the past, but it had been decades before she was hired and there weren't any living specimens left. It couldn't hurt to have one around for examination, she thought, her mind clearer than it's been in months. Damn, has it really been seventeen weeks since I was this sober?

"Greetings, little Shinigami," Scholar said in English, though her accent was untraceable. It carried a little bit of everything; she'd been to every continent multiple times, after all. She continued in Japanese, adopting a touch of an Okinawa accent, though from where specifically it was hard to tell, "I'm fine here, Werewolf boy. No Hollows in this area, after all. It'd be pretty stupid for someone to train in a Hollow feeding ground."

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm

He was not entirely sure he liked how this lady was looking at him. While it was true that most people gave him strange looks, there was something about this situation that made Shiroki consider crafting a Senkaimon and hightailing it back to Seireitei as fast as his feet could carry him. After all he could always come back for his parcel and gigai much later--when the scary lady was long gone.

The comment about training did arouse his interest however. There were some aspects of his capabilities to which he was unsure; chief of them being--what would happen if Inukaza attempted to fetch an element being controlled by some other Zanpakuto. There were other such swords, of course--but for some reason their owners always seemed more than a little reluctant at the idea of dueling. He could not imagine why.

Judging from this human's control of the elements, she could provide an answer to that question once and for all. The conditions were perfect for a casual match--secluded location away from curious eyes or distractions, plenty of space to retreat if things took a turn for the worse, and a non-Shinigami opponent he could engage without fearing she might go off and tell everybody in the Gotei what his abilities were. What was the point in having a technique if people were just going to blab about it to everyone and give enemies a way to counter it?

But this...this was an ideal situation. And judging from the way Inukaze was quivering in its sheath he suspected the sword felt the same. Never before had he wanted to see for himself so badly...was this how the 11th's Kenpachi felt all the time?

And on the heels of that thought--this is suspiciously uncharacteristic behavior... Is the lady using some kind of mental compulsion to guide compulsion? If so he better think carefully upon what to do next.

But a friendly match would most likely not hurt, so long as rules were decided on beforehand. He hadn't met the woman before and this wasn't a enemy battle situation, so there was no reason why either of them should want the other dead. People could still duel without acting to kill each other, right? He was pretty sure that was still a thing, even if he couldn't remember when was the last time he did so himself. Was it that time against the giant Menos? Nope, he was trying to obliterate that blasted thing and was pretty sure the feeling was mutual. That other time when someone escaped the Maggot's Nest? Also nope--he hadn't been wanting to kill his quarry then, but unfortunately his intentions hadn't been reciprocated. Runaways were prone to do desperate things, and often wouldn't hesitate about killing people in their way.

Okay. So make that reasonably sure. It was depressing how so many of his encounters ended up being fights to the death. And people ask me why I avoid fighting...

That was a flaw in reasoning, he knew. Fights were often messy. One could not always count on being able to choose the time and place. Given that it was bound to happen at some time or other, he had to know what it felt like to face off against an unknown opponent without having made preparations beforehand. And no time like the present. Seeing as she was conversant in Japanese he switched to the same

"May I join your training then, Onee-sama?" It was only polite to ask. And being polite went a long way towards avoiding a contest to the death. Most of the time.

He waited for a reply, but prepared Shunpo in the back of his mind.

Just in case.
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Scholar looked around, then at the Shinigami. The tentacles around her drooped further. Was he seriously asking to train with her? Initially she considered turning him down; she was a secret operative, after all, and the fewer her knew of her existence the better. But, it wasn't every day she could observe a Shinigami up close and personal, let alone a Werewolf. Shrugging, she shifted the leather bound book in her hands.

"I suppose you can train with me, though I'm unsure what you Shinigami do for training." As she talked, the two tentacles shifted around her, splitting into four, two earthen, two of water, each half the size of the originals. These four twirled and twisted, swirling around and through each other as she stood still between them, focusing on the Shinigami. Unlike before, however, these smaller ones dripped, dropping dirt or water respectfully, having trouble maintaining their forms.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 am

"Oh, all sorts of things. We practice firing at targets, or Jizen meditation with the sword, or spirit energy techniques. But those are boring and nobody really likes them anyway, so... Maybe a friendly match?"

At Inukaze's prompting he activated her shikai state without resorting to release command. It was not something he would normally do, preferring to remain in sealed form until circumstances required a power up. But if the human was generous enough to oblige, the least he could do was try not to make it a complete waste of her time. He wondered if the human was a Quincy. She did not seem to be wearing a cape or carrying a bow, so maybe not.

"Non-lethal restrictions, anything that suppresses another for a count of ten is considered a strike, and first one to reach five strikes against the other wins?"

Inukaze objected sullenly to the no-kill condition. He ignored her like he usually did.
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 am

The Scholar looked at the Shinigami with interest. So, he could use his released state without commands... Well, fair is fair, Scholar decided. "Discern, Tome of Truth..." She said softly, rubbing the old leather in her hands.

The release wasn't flashy, though the book she held glowed black before returning to a normal brightness level. The notebook had changed into what could best be described as the literature equivalent of an eldritch abomination. The front cover had some strange, tentacled creature's face on it, rising three dimensional from the cover, with star-shaped eyes that locked instantly on the Shinigami, staring at his own. The back of the book was covered in strange interlocking runes, stars and shapes that created a larger, more unfathomable run that seemed to constantly be shifting. The book was open in her left hand, and she brought her right up to her mouth, biting the ball of her thumb until it bled. After that, the book seemed to turn to a new page of its own accord and she smeared her bleeding thumb along it before the book turned again.

Her release took no more time than the Werewolf's, and when it was done, the tentacles around her became stronger, holding their shape far more easily. "I suppose it can't hurt to see what Shinigami can do. After all,
nobody else will be seeing this.
" Other than my entire division back at base when I show them the recording of this practice, she thought. Her initial use of her Inscribe ability was writing down everything that would transpire here so that she could analyze the Werewolf's phantom at her leisure later.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Shiro blinked. Her release was...a book? So, not a Quincy then. Unless it was some sort of super special magic book that would allow her to shoot arrows at range? It would be wise not to entirely discount that possibility. Stranger things had happened.

Inukaze's release applied itself well to attacking from range, but not as well as specialized marksman. If this strange lady did indeed prove to be a new category of Quincy...maybe one of those Stern-twitter alphabet ranks (man, those were hard to pronounce), he would have his work cut out for him trying to match up. He would have to adjust his usual approach to handle a ranged opponent; try to get up close and personal before she had time to react.

"Bakudo #21: Sekienton,"

A red circle formed where he aimed his paws at the ground, billowing out clouds of dense red smoke and hiding his movement from view.

"Bakudo #1: Sai,"

Already he was in motion, flinging one bladed baton forward while halfway through the spell and aiming for the mysterious book. He did not know what it could do, but something warned him that it was bad news. When facing a weapon you don't know about, best to find a way to disarm that opponent at once--you couldn't defend against what you didn't know.

"One...two..." he kept a running count as a helpful reminder to his opponent that if she remained bakado-bound for 10 counts first point would go to him. "Ready or not, here I come. Tag, Onee-sama. You're It!"

Inukaze launched.
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:19 pm

With the Shinigami using Bakudo 21 right off the bat, Scholar had smeared her thumb along a different page. As she did, the page began to drip blood, the red ink billowing up. As it did, a semi-transparent figure appeared directly in front of her.

Said figure was of a Shinigami, in fact the last Shinigami stationed in Karakura when she had been here. With the phantom in front of her, Scholar had her tentacles swirling protectively around her.

She heard, rather than saw, the Werewolf cast Sai, binding her phantom in place. However, the phantom Shinigami began to talk, saying "I got you now Hollow. Hado number thirty three, Sōkatsui!" the man shouted, though no kido activated. The man continued grunting and yelling as if engaged in a fierce fight, but the phantom was restrained by the Bakudo.

The phantom dissipated, however, when a blade came flying out of the red smoke, striking the phantom's body and causing it to disappear. Scholar turned her attention to where the blade came from, using her Soul Pull- Flora to cause the grass and underbrush grow rapidly, hoping to entagle the Werewolf's feet.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 am

The smell of blood--not his--and unexpected shout he heard about Hollows distracted him for a moment or so... But more pressing was the sensation of roots twining around his feet.

He flash-stepped backwards--less gracefully than he would have liked, nearly stumbling and falling thanks to an overzealous creeper that had wrapped itself around an ankle. Thankfully, remaining within the obscuring smoke of his kido allowed him to preserve his dignity. If the Captain had seen him trip so easily he never would have heard the end of it.

Shiro briefly considered using Inukaze to cut himself free, then resorted to Hado #4: Byakurai instead. He wasn't sure if cutting the roots would mark the whole ground as his Recall target, and was opposed to burying himself under several tons of soil. Nor did he want to give too much away, not this early in the proceedings.

He had felt Inukaze graze something, however. That meant he did have one target for Recall. Not that he expected it to be the lady herself, but he did have Something and was partly curious to know what it was. The fog cover was beginning to dissipate anyway and he needed to keep her on her toes, so he launched his offhand blade at her general direction again--really aiming for a nearby tree-branch overhead. If he managed to land a nick on her all well and good...if not, Fetching the branch would serve as a handy distraction if it hit her from behind on its way to him. Perfect either way.

His ears straightened in confusion as he activated his first Recall...only to see a semi-transparent ghost...thing(?) appear in front of him. It seemed to be under the effects of Bakudo: Sai and muttering shrill challenges at non-existent Hollows. Whatever it was, the thing did not appear hostile or even aware of his presence, hardly reacting even as he poked it experimentally with a paw.

To say the least, it was odd. Extremely odd, actually. A mystery that was best left for later though, when they weren't in the middle of a sparring contest and in clear sight of each other.

He kept an eye on his opponent and Inukaze's path, waiting to see what would develop next.

Calculations:
Opponent Soul Manipulation of Flora = Master vs. Percerption = Master and Hoho = Expert. Result: notices flora growth, but not entirely able to evade with Shunpo without Kido assistance
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Scholar didn't move from where she'd been, one arm bent to leave the book open in front of her, her hand with the bleeding thumb near but not close enough to bleed on the page. Her eyes narrowed, seeing the incoming weapon. His aim is off, she thought to herself. But, the two earthen tentacles merged back together and darted forward, moving in the same path as the weapon, but under it, following the chain towards the Shinigami.

As it did, the book in her hand turned to a new page, and she smeared her bloody thumb on it. The bloody letters turned wet and ran down the page, and as the last dripped to the ground, a pack of dogs appeared in front of her, phantoms all seven. The dogs were a mixed collection of species, but the semi-transparent canines emerged into existence barking, howling and snarling, running forward and snapping their jaws.

Scholar remembered where she'd seen this pack; it had been in a rural Chinese village, and the dogs belonged to a hunter. He used the dogs to scare up the birds and to chorale his quarry.

Combat:

Following the trajectory of the flung weapon: Scholar's Expert Perception against an Advanced Armed Combat. Successful.

Attacking with the tentacle: Using Soul Manipulation at a Master level. A dodge would compare Master level Manipulation moving at an Expert level of speed against an Expert Hoho. Dodge reduces the damage to a glancing blow. All forms of blocking would be calculated by the defender.

Movement speed of the pack of dogs is Advanced, with an Intermediate Unarmed Combat. The dogs have no other Skills.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Tentacles from one side, hounds from another. It was a classic pincer formation; designed to occupy and delay flexible enemies.

Onee-sama definitely had what it took to join Retrieval. If it weren't for the fact that she was still mortal, he would have sent her an invite and processed her paperwork on the spot. Truly impressive strategy. Shiroki approved.

As soon as he heard the dull crack of his shikai hitting branch, he drew it back towards him and sent its sister-blade at the tentacles in the same motion. From early experience he was at least partly sure of what they could do; which made it a preferable target to focus on compared to the other. He had no idea what the pack would do, and until he did, he had no intention of finding out.

Like the earlier figure from before; these appeared translucent and insubstantial as they raced towards him. Could they inflict harm, or were they intended as an illusion? They did appear ghostly, but it was best not to take such things on face value. For all he knew each one could be a reishii construction capable of blowing up in his face once they got in range.

There were too many in number for him to use Fetch on them all; not that he wanted to if the bomb hypothesis turned out to be correct. But they did appear to be moving in roughly the same direction as a single unit...were they a single unit or could they separate and change direction? He flash-stepped a short distance away, landing safely in a tree and catching Inukaze's returning blade as he did so.

Assuming a casual expression, he stuck one blade into the tree trunk and leaned against its hilt, lazily spinning the other. Neither of them had inflicted a bleeding wound yet, so the blood he smelt was likely related to her powers somehow. He did not know how that worked; and didn't like not knowing. Without some kind of understanding he was already at a disadvantage, reduced to blindly react to whatever new magic she sent his way instead of cutting it off at the source. What he had seen so far from the constructs(?)/illusions(?) seemed fairly innocuous...but what if they weren't the full extent of her power? What if the next thing Onee-sama magicked up turned out to be a cannon or rocket launcher? He had heard gossip of some Quincy being able to do things like shoot hundreds of arrows in a single shot.

Well, she wasn't the only one whose techniques involved bloodshed.

Waving cheerily at her from his position; the child drew Inukaze's edge slowly over the back of one paw--leaving a faint line of red as its edge broke the skin. If this didn't get the mortal's attention nothing would, and he was honestly curious about how she would react to that bit of self mutilation.

"Whatcha think, Onee-sama? Did that seem like a meaningless action to you?"

Combat:
Shunpo (Hoho Expert) vs. Hound speed (Advanced) -- avoidance; up a tree. Perception Mastery accounts for noticing both actions. Shikai (Armed Advance) aimed with (Perception) towards Tendril; outcome unknown for defender to determine
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 am

The hounds veered suddenly from where they had been charging at the Shinigami, darting off into the woods once he was in the three. As she did with most of her phantoms, Scholar ignored them once they were summoned; she had no control of their actions, after all, and they were just replaying whatever event she had copied.

Scholar rock and dirt tentacle continued dashing forward however, meeting the second weapon head on. Before impact, the tentacle widened and opened up, the end splitting into several smaller tentacles, letting the weapon go inside the larger tentacle before they snapped shut, trapping the weapon with the rock. Having captured the weapon, the tentacle would wrench back, hoping to pull the Shinigami out of the tree and towards Scholar, the water tentacle moving in a coil around the earth tentacle to attack the Werewolf as he's pulled.

Combat:

Capturing the weapon: Master Soul Manipulation vs Advanced Armed Combat. Two level lead- Successful.
Pulling the Shinigami forward: Master Soul Manipulation vs Advanced Armed Combat (As long as the Shinigami remains holding his weapon). Two level lead- Successful.
Attack while Shinigami is falling: Master SM vs either Advanced Spiritual Combat (No blocking)/ Advanced Armed Combat (Block with other weapon). Two level lead- successful either way. Master SM vs Advanced Hoho (-1 level penalty due to not being a flyer in the air) {In case of a dodge}. Two level lead- Successful.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Now he remembered why he didn't do battle speeches. Such a shame. It would have sounded so awesome too.

He spared a moment to suppress the jealousy he felt for people who somehow managed being able to yap about their techniques and abilities to every new enemy they met. Impractical as it was, it WOULD have been fun to see an opponent's eyes widen as they realized they were screwed. Thinking of that brought his old teacher to mind. Sensei would have smacked his head personally if he had been there to watch that display. It wasn't that hard to imagine what the instructor would say either.

"Real life isn't anime, baka! Now get your head in the game before you lose it,"

Seeing that he was now being reeled in by elemental tentacles of Doom, it could perhaps be argued that his teacher had a point.

He let himself be drawn in close before activating two of his Recalls at once.
A) the branch: now zipping straight towards him from behind the lady
B) the Tree he was on: ripped from its roots and coming in the opposite direction

and immediately following that; C) himself: to turn insubstantial a split second before those objects collided, which would protect him from impact as well as create an opening to escape Doom Tentacle's grip.

He would need to be free to shield Onee-sama from his Recalls if the situation required it, but somehow he didn't think that would be necessary.

If there was one thing he had learnt so far, it was that she too had other tricks up her sleeves.

Combat:
Ability: Fetch - Anything Inukaze cuts is considered marked by its ability, and can be drawn to its wielder's location at will no matter how large or heavy. It does this by briefly phasing the object (to free it of any connections to surroundings) before drawing it in a straight line to the wielder. If used on the wielder himself, only the momentary phasing quality applies. Currently the limit of marked objects is 5, so if the list is 'full' Recalls need to be made before marking new targets. If not activated simultaneously, Recalls must be activated in the order that targets were marked (tree branch 1st, tree 2nd, Shiro 3rd etc.)
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 am

Scholar didn't so much hear, though that's how she'd remember it, as felt the branch behind her moving. She'd made a note of the weapon's trajectory earlier, and knew it had struck a branch. She also could see the tree in front of her start to move.

The two tentacles collapsed to the ground, freeing the weapon and not harming the Shinigami. When they did, a large rectangular wall of stone rose from the ground behind Scholar, which the branch shattered against. In front of her, vines and moss grew at speeds completely unnatural, gripping the tree and digging in, slowing it back down before it could pick up too dangerous of speeds. To be safe, she allowed several other trees to age rapidly, locking the moving one in place with their swollen trunks and branches.

But controlling the plants had a price, leaving the ground dead, dried out and barren of grass for several meters around her. The water used to form the tentacle was complete gone, and a tree too close to the Fullbring had rapidly died and decayed, its life stolen to feed the plants she had controlled.

With the wall erected behind her and the toll Scholar had taken on the earth, she snapped the foul-looking tome in her hands closed. Softly, she muttered, "Discern, Scythe of Lies."

The book in her hands dissolved, and was replaced by a long scythe, the staff of which was an elongated spine, the counterweight to the scythe's blade being a human-like skeleton, spine, ribs, skull and arms only. The skull wore a crown of thorns. She held the staff lightly and comfortably in one hand, for the first time shifting positions.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:18 am

Seeing a second weapon in existence was an unexpected surprise; more so than the effect the woman's abilities left on the landscape around them. He wondered if that was some mortal equivalent of Bankai; there had been some gossip involving Quincy and something called 'Vole-Static' but Shiroki had not paid too much attention to it at that time. Assuming that it was the same thing; which he doubted. From what the gossips had to say, he expected 'Vole-Static' to be whiter, and involve a halo or at least a pair of wings.

Neither had scored a point against the other yet but he was concerned the confrontation was taking a serious turn. By this time both duelists were likely reasonably certain that it would take more than parlour tricks to suppress the other for a ten-count. That explained the new weapon. He wondered if she expected him to respond in kind. Generally it would be considered bad form to activate Bankai for a friendly sparring contest as people could easily get the wrong idea.

"Bakudo #21: Sekienton,"

Resorting to the smoke screen again to buy time; he aimed it for the opponent's legs and flash-stepped forward to take her from behind--a simple but effective technique favored by the Punishment Force. Under the cover of smoke, an opponent might be caught off guard for long enough to be flanked from behind and provide an opening for him to tag either of her weapons or better yet; fire off another binding spell at close range before she knew what was going on.

Focusing on the larger target--the Scythe--for the time being, he stepped in; with the incantation for Bakudo #9: Geki ready at hand.

He reminded himself to conjure a solidified platform of air to stand on for good measure; the memory of those tentacles still fresh in his mind.

Combat:
Bakudo: Advanced; Armed Combat: Advanced (aiming to touch Scythe of Lies with own blade, so as to mark it as a target for Recall)
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 pm

"A smokescreen won't work twice," Scholar said, searching with her less physical senses for the Shinigami. She didn't have much time, but she definitely sensed him appear behind herself and brought her Scythe up to parry, blocking his weapon with a hard swing of the Scythe's blade.

Her swing arced upward, dragging the sharp weapon along the dried out ground, and it met the weapon with what should have been a paltry show of force. The Shinigami's weapon was clearly swung much harder, faster and more precisely than her unwieldy Scythe, but for some reason once the weapons met with a loud smack of metal-on-metal, the Scythe didn't budge at all. It was as if she couldn't even feel the force behind his attack.

The Werewolf wouldn't know this, but that was exactly correct. She couldn't feel the force at all once the connection was made, for the kinetic energy of his swing was completely absorbed by the Scythe. She could feel the stored energy within the weapon, and realized he knew just what he was doing with that blade. She only knew enough about using her Scythe to block an incoming attack, since she hadn't once had to worry about being physically weaker or more unskilled due to the Scythe always canceling out attacks against her.

Combat:

Noticing his location: Expert Perception against Advanced Bakudo. Successful, but not instant.
Speed to parry: Expert Hoho against Expert Hoho. Equal speed, neither faster than the other.
Blocking the attack: Beginner Armed Combat against Advanced Armed Combat. Shinigami wins by two levels.
Whether Scythe of Lies ability is able to function: Master Spiritual Combat to activate the ability against Advanced Armed Combat. Successful by two levels. Absorbs all kinetic energy from the block.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 am

Metal grated on metal; music to his ears.

Having attained his first target, it would probably be pushing his luck to go for a second...but the smokescreen cover really was too great of an opportunity to pass up. All those tentacles and elemental powers made it difficult to get in close for any point blank attacks.

"Bakudo #9: Geki,"

Whether it would work was another thing entirely, but it never hurt to try.

Combat:
Paralysis Bakudo Geki attempted from behind: Advanced Bakudo
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 am

Scholar swung her scythe upwards after contact, bringing it to rest diagonally across her body in front of her. A few feet behind her was her rectangular wall of stone, so she doubted any attack would come from there. But, she had to do something to pin the Shinigami for a ten-count before he could do something to her.

Scholar started to swing her Scythe in a circle in front of her, letting its blade cut a groove in front of her. She was able to spin it rather fast until it was a blur in front of her, the dead ground offering no resistance. She gasped when something hit her back, getting into the couple feet separating her from her wall.

Her Scythe froze mid-spin, her wrists at an awkward over-under position. The Fullbringer's body refused to respond to her and the scythe slipped from her grasp, clattering to the ground. If she could move, her brow would furrow in annoyance. She couldn't counter Bakudo with her offensive release!

Combat:

Geki- Advanced Bakudo against Master Spiritual Combat. Paralyzed one round, -1 to Hoho after.
Scythe- charge of four. Two from blocking against an Advanced (Two level difference), two from spinning

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Shiroki Yesterday at 6:18 am

For some ridiculous reason, it worked!

He had been taking a chance; what with the added obstacle of that wall, but luck seemed to be on his side that day. Best to keep up the pressure regardless. Whoever she was, his opponent was no novice and he would underestimate her at his own peril.

The formidable looking scythe had been separated from its wielder for just a moment, but he wasted no time using Inukaze's shikai ability to Fetch it to his side--one less thing for him to worry about at least. It's added weight was awkward, though to tell the truth he much preferred having it be with him than used against him, even in a friendly contest. He would not look forward to having this human as an actual enemy.

And since this WAS really a mock battle, he supposed it would be only sporting and polite to explain. "My Shikai ability lets me Fetch anything that it cuts to my location, however big or heavy. Sequence is fixed though, so I got to fetch them in the order I cut them, but it's still pretty handy," He set the scythe down at a safe range to free his grip, shifting position for a better shot. "Speaking of which--"

"Bakudo #4: Hainawa,"

If the combination binding spells worked to delay her for the next few moments, he might even win the first round. That would be quite an achievement. Short though their initial exchange had been, the duel was fast-paced and he was breathing heavily but it was still different from expectations. It ran completely contrary to his philosophy to be involved in fights where everything about the opponent was unknown; and he recognized this for the limitation it was--partly the reason why he asked the human for a duel was to get past this avoidance. He wouldn't be able to plan for every single fight after all. But it was his own reactions that came as a surprise from this encounter. True, there were some awkward moments where she caught him off guard and would probably be more such surprises to come. Yet challenging as it was to adapt to new obstacles on the fly, it was also sort of...fun.

Was this how Squad Eleven felt?

Combat:
Bakudo Hainawa (Crawling Rope): Advanced
avatar
Shiroki

Species : Werewolf
Race : Shinigami
Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by The Wandering Scholar Yesterday at 7:21 am

Scholar's eyes squinted at the Shinigami as the red glow around her body started to vanish as the second bakudo wrapped itself around her. So what, was he just going to keep layering them on over and over, like some sort of stagger-lock in a game?

She listened to his explanation. Some people seemed to love explaining their abilities to others. Other people you had to poke and prod and do oh-so-many experiments just to get them to activate a release.

She was technically one of seven leaders of a highly secret government organization, so she shouldn't explain her powers to him. Then again, by the same logic, she shouldn't be sparring with him either.

She looked at her Scythe, laying discarded by the Shinigami. She'd need to grab it soon. Things might be... unpleasant otherwise.

Turning her gaze back to the Shinigami, she asked in her voice that was hard to place as either masculine or feminine "Can you keep a secret, Shinigami?"

Combat:

Against first Bakudo- freed but with a minus 1 level to Hoho
Against second Bakudo- Captured again for one round, after will be a minus 1 level to Hoho and Spiritual Combat
Scythe- charge level six. two from blocking, two from spinning, one from being Fetched, one from being put on the ground.

_________________
avatar
The Wandering Scholar

Species : Human
Race : Fullbringer
Age : 22
Posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Power of a Dragon (Open Training Thread)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum